Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Web Query Pulling Date Incorrectly.

I work in a Registrar's Office for a private university. Recently our
office purchased some software that creates web queries from
information that we have stored in a database, called Datatel. The
problem is, it's not pulling degree dates correctly. Here's what's
happening:

The degree date is stored in Datatel in a mm/yy format. However, when
the web query pulls this data into Excel, it converts it into a mm/dd
format. Example: A student has a degree date of 06/08 (June 2008).
When Excel pulls this information, it pulls it in as 06/08/2007.

Now I've tried disabling the date recognition option in the Edit Web
Query screen and that works fine, so long as I have the report open
and I don't save it. If I try to save and close out, however, the
report won't function the next time I open it. Is there a way to make
the date pull correctly without causing my report to stop working?

Side Note: In the Edit Web Query screen, where the table should be,
there's nothing displayed. If I had to guess why this should be, I
would say that it's because the web query is somehow creating a
temporary website whenever it's opened. I'm also guessing that when I
change the options and save them, it somehow loses the information it
used to create the temporary website in the first place, which is why
my report won't function anymore when I open it again.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In .com,
DoveArrow spake thusly:

The degree date is stored in Datatel in a mm/yy format. However,
when the web query pulls this data into Excel, it converts it
into a mm/dd format. Example: A student has a degree date of
06/08 (June 2008). When Excel pulls this information, it pulls
it in as 06/08/2007.

What happens if you go to Tools / Options / Error Checking and
turn on error-checking for dates with 2-digit years? I don't
know if this will be helpful or not.

Side Note: In the Edit Web Query screen, where the table should
be, there's nothing displayed. If I had to guess why this should

Not sure, but be sure to try out all the options when you get to
the WebQuery screen and click on the Options icon over at the
top-right. Also look at the settings in Data / Import External Data /
External Data Range Properties. This is with Excel 2002; you didn't
say which version you have.

-dman-