Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
rcc rcc is offline

Default date sorting

When I try sorting a column of dates, excel puts (for example) 06/2000 first
and then 01/2001 next. It obviously makes sense that it would do that, but
what I want is to group all the Januarys together first and then all the
Junes together next, regardless of year. Is it possible for me to sort by
month, with no regard to the year?

Thanks.
Renee
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Let's say dates in column A, create a helper column in B
In B2: =MONTH(A2)
copy down
Highlight both column A & B, and sort by ascending order in Column B

"rcc" wrote:

When I try sorting a column of dates, excel puts (for example) 06/2000 first
and then 01/2001 next. It obviously makes sense that it would do that, but
what I want is to group all the Januarys together first and then all the
Junes together next, regardless of year. Is it possible for me to sort by
month, with no regard to the year?

Thanks.
Renee

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks that worked but this is such a lame way of having to do this. if the
cell is formatted for a date why did Microsoft in all their glory toting of
2007 come up with a way to sort by month under custom

"rcc" wrote:

When I try sorting a column of dates, excel puts (for example) 06/2000 first
and then 01/2001 next. It obviously makes sense that it would do that, but
what I want is to group all the Januarys together first and then all the
Junes together next, regardless of year. Is it possible for me to sort by
month, with no regard to the year?

Thanks.
Renee

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could always create a custom list of Jan, Feb, Mar etc.

Then format the dates to mmm

Sort ordercustom list.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP