Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Calculate Number

This is probably a simple question... but, I'm trying to get a
spreadsheet to fill in a number if there's something in the field...
the column that will populate the number is column D... for example,
the data can be entered column F, rows 7-49...

Right now, I have it set that if there is something in cell F7, put a
1, if not, leave blank. The next field, however, depends on the one
before... so, my formula is...

=IF(F7=0,"",1)

then...

=IF(F8=0,"",D7+1)

This formula continues down the column but because it's dependant on
the row before, if someone skips a row, they get #VALUE... is there a
way to make it count even if they skip? So, if they put something in
F7 but leave F8 blank and then fill in F9, D9 will show as number 2
since F8 had no data?

That's confusing... sorry! Hope you can understand what I'm
asking :) Thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Try this:

=IF(ISBLANK(F8),F7,IF(F8=0,F7+1,F7))

This formula repits the number when F8 would not be zero (balnk or negative
or positive)

hope it will work for you,

Thanks,

--
Farhad Hodjat

" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi again,

sorry i made mistake the formula should be:

=IF(ISBLANK(F8),D7,IF(F8=0,D7+1,D7))

--
Farhad Hodjat

" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

" wrote:
[...]

asking :) Thanks!!- Hide quoted text -

This doesn't work... this is actually making the D column just show
whatever is entered in the F column in the previous row, UNLESS the
field is blank, in which case it makes it a zero... (the F column is
an account number so it will be a number)...

Basically, this is for agents to track calls - the problem is, they
often times accidentally skip a row. I want the tracker to just count
for them... 1, 2, 3 (etc) in sequential order and just leave it blank
if they skip the row but still continue the sequence when they pick it
back up.

So, I need it to be blank if there is nothing in the field and be the
next number in sequence if they do type something in the field.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry Sorry Sorry lots of confusing here is the best formula is:

=IF(F8=0,"",MAX($D$2:D2)+1)

make sure to put $

Thanks,

--
Farhad Hodjat

" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

" wrote:

[...]

I think this may be closer - but, keep in mind that you seem to be
starting with F8... I need to start with F7 that is the first row...
basically, if F7 has data, then D7 will be 1... (no one ever skips
F1).

I tried this formula in place of my D7 formula but it errored (even
when changing the F8 to F7...

Can you tell me the formula I'd use to make this work from the first
box?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Today is my mistake day sory again put this formula in the cell D8 and copy
drag down to where ever you need again the first part of range should have $
and the second part shouldn't:

=IF(F8=0,"",MAX($D$7:D7)+1)

Thanks,

--
Farhad Hodjat

" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

" wrote:

[...]

box?- Hide quoted text -

Yay!! This works!! Thanks soooo much! I knew it had to be
simple!! :)

I appreciate your help!! :) :) :)