Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
[email protected] yolanda.silva@gmail.com is offline

Default Calculate Number

This is probably a simple question... but, I'm trying to get a
spreadsheet to fill in a number if there's something in the field...
the column that will populate the number is column D... for example,
the data can be entered column F, rows 7-49...

Right now, I have it set that if there is something in cell F7, put a
1, if not, leave blank. The next field, however, depends on the one
before... so, my formula is...

=IF(F7=0,"",1)

then...

=IF(F8=0,"",D7+1)

This formula continues down the column but because it's dependant on
the row before, if someone skips a row, they get #VALUE... is there a
way to make it count even if they skip? So, if they put something in
F7 but leave F8 blank and then fill in F9, D9 will show as number 2
since F8 had no data?

That's confusing... sorry! Hope you can understand what I'm
asking :) Thanks!!