Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Re-Installing Office 2007

A recently purchased an HP laptop from a well-known electronics chain store,
took it to my office and intalled Office Professional 2007 on it. I then
shut down and when I re booted Vista asked me for a password! Since I had
not set up a user acct w a password I was surprised at this and took the
computer back to the store. They were embarassed and explained that what
probably happened is they some store employee had set up the computer with a
password and this was the on they sold me. When I had opened up the computer
I was actually rentering the system from the "sleep" mode rather than
rebooting, which is why it didn't ask for a password. They couldn't figure
out what the password was, so they gave me a new computer! I said "But I
have already installed and activated Office 2007 on the previous computer"
They told me to go ahead and activate it the new computer and I shouldn't
have any trouble. I did this and they were right.
Well, due to an OS problem (probably also caused by folks at the store
fooling around with the computer) I has to reinstall the OS (with very good
telephone help from HP) on the new computer. I backed up my data files but
of course all programs have to be reinstalled. Mt question is - will MSFT
let me make what appears to be a *thrid* activation? If not, whom should I
get in touch with at Microsoft to explain that I am really only using the
software on one computer?

--
-regards