Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Number format to date

When I save a spreadsheet to .csv and it has account numbers "01-15-2000"
Excel automatically saves them as dates. I can Lock the cell, format it as
text, etc. and it has no effect.

I need to use .csv to upload data to my ERP application. If I use an " ' "
in front of the data the upload doesn't read it correctly as just the account
code.

I need to use a "shout out" --- HELP!!
--
Bill
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Rename the .csv file to .txt

Then open excel, use File|open to open that .txt file.

You can follow the import text wizard to tell excel that this field should be
treated as text.

Maxfli wrote:

When I save a spreadsheet to .csv and it has account numbers "01-15-2000"
Excel automatically saves them as dates. I can Lock the cell, format it as
text, etc. and it has no effect.

I need to use .csv to upload data to my ERP application. If I use an " ' "
in front of the data the upload doesn't read it correctly as just the account
code.

I need to use a "shout out" --- HELP!!
--
Bill

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ignore that previous response.

That was a way to open that .csv file in excel.

But I bet if you check your .csv file by opening it in NotePad--or any text
editor (don't use Excel), then your field will be ok.

Maxfli wrote:

When I save a spreadsheet to .csv and it has account numbers "01-15-2000"
Excel automatically saves them as dates. I can Lock the cell, format it as
text, etc. and it has no effect.

I need to use .csv to upload data to my ERP application. If I use an " ' "
in front of the data the upload doesn't read it correctly as just the account
code.

I need to use a "shout out" --- HELP!!
--
Bill

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel opens them as dates not saving them. Test that by format as text, put
in 01-15-2000 as text, save as *.CSV and open the file in notepad or any
text editor. If you open them in Excel it converts them, to dates, so if you
need to open them in Excel you can import them instead as text using the
text import wizard

Peo Sjoblom

"