Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Marco18+

Default * next to date format in Formatcells Number tab

Hi
I've got the UK version of Excel 2003.
What does the * next to a date format within the Type area signify when in
the Formatcells window, in the Number tab, having chosen the Date format?
Any info on this would be appreciated.
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

It's just indicating a comment about certain formats saying (the format
itself does not use an asterisk)

"Date formats display date and time serial numbers as date values. Except
for items that have an asterisk (*), applied formats do not switch date
orders with the operating system."

So it's not a format using an asterisk but an indicator that certain formats
are different from other formats with regards to the OS

Peo Sjoblom

http://nwexcelsolutions.com

"Marco18+" wrote in message
Hi
I've got the UK version of Excel 2003.
What does the * next to a date format within the Type area signify when in
the Formatcells window, in the Number tab, having chosen the Date format?
Any info on this would be appreciated.
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

There's an explanation at the bottom of that dialog:

Date formats display date and time serial numbers as date values. Except for
items that have an asterisk (*), applied formats do not switch date orders with
the operating system.

So if you choose an item that's marked with an asterisk (say the top one
(*03/14/2001 for me)), then that cell's display may change if you share the
workbook with someone else.

I've changed my windows short date format to mm/dd/yyyy. If I choose that
format and share my workbook with someone who has their windows short date
format set for m/d/yy, then the cell will look different to them.

In that case, it's not really much of a problem. But using a workbook created
by someone who uses m/d/yy may be a small problem for me. When I open that
workbook, excel will see my mm/dd/yyyy format and try to display the date that
way.

But if the column isn't wide enough, I'll see #####'s. If the worksheet isn't
protected, I can widen the column.

--

Dave Peterson