Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default populating a cell based on another range of cells in excel

I want to populate a cell based on a 'x' in another cell. I am using two
worksheets in my excel file. One that a individual will fill out and one that
will tell if the form needs approval. This is the formula I have in a cell on
the Approval Worksheet.

=IF('MercyInsightAccessRequest Form'!I6:I100="x","Approval Needed From
Maureen Castulik","No Approval Needed")

This works fine, but I want to check a cell range for a 'x' not just I6. I
want the Approval worksheet to state "Approval Needed From Maureen Castulik"
If there is a 'x' anywhere in I6 through say I100. Using the formula below
does not work.

=IF('MercyInsightAccessRequest Form'!I6:I100="x","Approval Needed From
Maureen Castulik","No Approval Needed")

I also would like to check multiple columns the same way. If say J6 through
M6 has a 'x' I want the Approval worksheet to say "Approval Needed From Linda
Weindel". This should also check down about 100 rows, it should check
J6:J100, K6:K100, L6:L100, and M6:M100. If there is a 'x' in any of these
rows I want the Approval worksheet to state "Approval Needed From Linda
Weindel".

I realize this can be done with a Macro and the Visual Basic Editor, but I
would rather not. I hope someone can understand what I am wanting to do.
Please help.