Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Formatting the color of a range of cells based on the value of one cell

I have a spreadsheet that I want to either "strikethrough" or gray out
text in cells based on whether there is an "x" in the one cell.

So for example.

Cells A4 to I4 have text and information in them. This information
when complete should show that it is complete. So when I put an "x" in
B4 I would like the whole line from A4 to I4 "gray out" or
"strikethrough" to signify that item is complete. If there is not an x
in the cell then I want the text in A4 to I4 to remain unchanged. I
tried conditional formatting but it didn't seem to do the trick.

-Karl

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this:

Select the range A4:I4
Goto FormatConditional Formatting
Formula Is: =$B4="x"
Click the Format button
Select the Font tab
Click the Color drop down
Click the lightest shade of gray for a "grayed out" appearance
OK out

Biff

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a spreadsheet that I want to either "strikethrough" or gray out
text in cells based on whether there is an "x" in the one cell.

So for example.

Cells A4 to I4 have text and information in them. This information
when complete should show that it is complete. So when I put an "x" in
B4 I would like the whole line from A4 to I4 "gray out" or
"strikethrough" to signify that item is complete. If there is not an x
in the cell then I want the text in A4 to I4 to remain unchanged. I
tried conditional formatting but it didn't seem to do the trick.

-Karl

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Biff

wrote in message
oups.com...
Perfecto!!!

Thanks!!!

Biff wrote:
Try this:

Select the range A4:I4
Goto FormatConditional Formatting
Formula Is: =$B4="x"
Click the Format button
Select the Font tab
Click the Color drop down
Click the lightest shade of gray for a "grayed out" appearance
OK out

Biff

oups.com...