Simon L

Default How to preserve conditional formatting on a web query table result

I have an external database that Excel queries and returns two columns of
dates. I can set up a conditional format (in one colum) so that the dates in
each row of the column change colour if the corresponding columns date is
different. My problem is how to COPY and PASTE the conditional formatting
across all dates in the one column (so that each cell looks at the date in
the corresponding cell next to it)?

Any ideas or suggestions?
Arun

Select entire Col "A" (assuming 1st date in Col A) click on conditional
formatting select "Cell Value Is", "not equal to" "=$B1"

that should do it. :)

"Simon L" wrote:

I have an external database that Excel queries and returns two columns of
dates. I can set up a conditional format (in one colum) so that the dates in
each row of the column change colour if the corresponding columns date is
different. My problem is how to COPY and PASTE the conditional formatting
across all dates in the one column (so that each cell looks at the date in
the corresponding cell next to it)?

Any ideas or suggestions?

Simon L

Thank Arun but it seems that I have to specify that all cells must compare
against B1 in your example. am i missing something?

Example:
Project Name PlannedDueDate ActualDueDate
Project1 10/10/05 10/10/05
Project2 10/11/05 15/11/05
Project3 10/11/05 10/11/05

Here I would like actualduedate for Project 2 to change colour since it is
running late compared with the plannedduedate in Project2. Hope this makes
sense :-)

"Simon L" wrote:

I have an external database that Excel queries and returns two columns of
dates. I can set up a conditional format (in one colum) so that the dates in
each row of the column change colour if the corresponding columns date is
different. My problem is how to COPY and PASTE the conditional formatting
across all dates in the one column (so that each cell looks at the date in
the corresponding cell next to it)?

Any ideas or suggestions?

Peo Sjoblom

use formula is instead of cell value, i.e.

=B2A2

now if you copy that (format painter) it will adjust so if you copy it down
it will change to

=B3A3

across

=C2B2

if you use cell value you need to use relative references A2 as opposed to
$A$2 (it will default to absolute if you click on the cell)

cell value greater than A2

Peo Sjoblom

"Simon L" wrote in message
Thanks Peo
Formula is... Condition 1 - Cell Value Is greater than =?????
(where =???? is the cell next door to itself)

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

Yes it does, you only have to use the correct formula in the conditional
formatting,
what formula are you using?

Peo Sjoblom

"Simon L" <Simon wrote in message
Thanks Peo but the Format Painter does not 'paint' across 'conditional
formatting'

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

You can just use the format painter to copy and paste formats

Peo Sjoblom

"Simon L" <Simon
wrote in message
I have an external database that Excel queries and returns two

columns
of
dates. I can set up a conditional format (in one colum) so that

the
dates
in
each row of the column change colour if the corresponding columns

date
is
different. My problem is how to COPY and PASTE the conditional
formatting
across all dates in the one column (so that each cell looks at the

date in
the corresponding cell next to it)?

Any ideas or suggestions?

Arun

simon, select the cell heading PlannedDueDate and select the Entire column,
and invoke Conditional formatting. and enter the options as i said earlier.
as i've specified to validate with "$C1" excel applies $C1 for 1st and
automatically changes the formula to $c2, $c3 and so on...