Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default install office 2000 on windows xp

I get a product key error when trying to install my old version of office
2000 on Windows XP. I know my product key is correct. What am I doing
wrong. I do not want to purchase the office xp
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I assume you are entering the 25-digit Product Key and not the Product ID key
which has closer to 16-digits

You need to examine the Product Key very carefully. It's awfully
easy to mistake a "B" for an "8," a "G" for a "6," an "S" for a "5," or
a "Q" for a "0" or "O." Fortunately, Microsoft had the good sense to
leave the "1's," "I's," "O's," and "0's" out of the equation. Also, be
sure that your <CapsLock is _off_ while entering the Product Key --
this isn't supposed to make a difference, but I've seen it do so, on
rare occasions.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 03:40:00 -0700, 0749css
wrote:

I get a product key error when trying to install my old version of office
2000 on Windows XP. I know my product key is correct. What am I doing
wrong. I do not want to purchase the office xp

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you for taking the time to answer my post. Yes, I am very sure about
the key. It states very clearly product key, and I sit at a computer at work
nine hours a day, so I am very sure about my accuracy.

wrote:

I get a product key error when trying to install my old version of office
2000 on Windows XP. I know my product key is correct. What am I doing
wrong. I do not want to purchase the office xp

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You have much more confidence in your accuracy than I have in mine so not much
to offer from this end.

I have no other ideas other than maybe post over in the Office Setup newsgroup.

Gord

wrote:

I get a product key error when trying to install my old version of office
2000 on Windows XP. I know my product key is correct. What am I doing
wrong. I do not want to purchase the office xp

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gord,
I do apologize if I sounded rude, I did not mean to, but thousands of
dollars go thru my hands daily via the computer and I do have to be accurate.
I did try the cap lock on and off and that did not work either. Please,
anything else I can try?

wrote:

I get a product key error when trying to install my old version of office
2000 on Windows XP. I know my product key is correct. What am I doing
wrong. I do not want to purchase the office xp

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Where is "It" that "states very clearly product key" located?

Did that key work OK on your previous installation of Office 2000 on the OS you
were running at that time?

Have you tried the Office.Setup group?

As far as accuracy goes..............there would be no need for mal-practice
insurance if accuracy increased proportionally with the importance of the job
being done.

Gord

wrote:

I get a product key error when trying to install my old version of office
2000 on Windows XP. I know my product key is correct. What am I doing
wrong. I do not want to purchase the office xp

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry Gord,
I just finished reading your posting, and I appreciate your help, but never
mind, I'll find someone else to help me.

wrote:

I get a product key error when trying to install my old version of office
2000 on Windows XP. I know my product key is correct. What am I doing
wrong. I do not want to purchase the office xp

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Good plan.

Lotsa luck.

Gord

wrote:

I get a product key error when trying to install my old version of office
2000 on Windows XP. I know my product key is correct. What am I doing
wrong. I do not want to purchase the office xp

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have had the same problem with mine not reading the key properly. Couple
things to try and check. Clean the disk of, slightest bit of dirt on it can
mess it up. What I have also had to do and it worked was for the numbers
instead of using the numperpad, used the numbers across top of keyboard, and
that worked. Picky thing lol. Also, do you have more then one hard
drive/partition? And do you have more then one cd rom? By default it wants
to look for the key on the D: drive Even if you have one hard drive and one
cd rom, when you do the install and it tells you it didn't find the key,
there is a browse button, click that and direct it to where the cd is. One of
these options, or all lol should work. As I said mine does the same thing and
this has worked before. Good luck