Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Conditional display

I have a worksheet wherein there's a cell that displays the "minimum" number
from a group of five [or more] numbers; each of those five [or more] numbers
is associated with a "text statement".

Is there a formula I can employ, that would allow me to display, in a cell,
the "text statement" associated with the minimum number? My goal is to be
able to automatically display [based on which number is the minimum] the
associated text statement. Thus the reader of the worksheet will see
displayed the text statement associated with the appropriate minimum number.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

One way ..

Assuming text within A1:A5, numbers within B1:B5
placed in say, C1:
=INDEX(A1:A5,MATCH(MIN(B1:B5),B1:B5,0))
will return the text corresponding to the minimum of the numbers

Should there be a tie(s) in the min numbers,
it'll return the first match, ie the text which is "higher up" within A1:A5
--
Max
Singapore
"Shadowman13" wrote:
I have a worksheet wherein there's a cell that displays the "minimum" number
from a group of five [or more] numbers; each of those five [or more] numbers
is associated with a "text statement".

Is there a formula I can employ, that would allow me to display, in a cell,
the "text statement" associated with the minimum number? My goal is to be
able to automatically display [based on which number is the minimum] the
associated text statement. Thus the reader of the worksheet will see
displayed the text statement associated with the appropriate minimum number.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I read this slightly different than Max.

I thought that the cell already had the minimum value in it.

If that's the case, I'd create a new worksheet and create a table.

Column A would hold the numbers and column B would hold the text.

and use a formula like (with A1 holding the minimum value):

=if(a1="","",vlookup(a1,sheet2!a:b,2,false))

Shadowman13 wrote:

I have a worksheet wherein there's a cell that displays the "minimum" number
from a group of five [or more] numbers; each of those five [or more] numbers
is associated with a "text statement".

Is there a formula I can employ, that would allow me to display, in a cell,
the "text statement" associated with the minimum number? My goal is to be
able to automatically display [based on which number is the minimum] the
associated text statement. Thus the reader of the worksheet will see
displayed the text statement associated with the appropriate minimum number.

Thanks!

Dave Peterson