Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default adding cells

hi
I am wanting to add cells over various sheets in a file. It is the same
cell in every sheet. What is the easiest way to do this?
thanks
msiz
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The Excel Help topic is headed...

Refer to the same cell or range on multiple sheets

Ken Johnson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"msiz" wrote in message
hi
I am wanting to add cells over various sheets in a file. It is the same
cell in every sheet. What is the easiest way to do this?
thanks
msiz

The number of cells in a spreadsheet is limited to 65536 by 256. You cannot
add any more. I suspect that this is not the answer you expected. In which
case would you give some more details of what you are wanting to do?

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Is it the total of the cells in various sheets that you want placed in
a cell in the existing workbook?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=Sheet1!E12+Sheet2!E12+Sheet3!E12

This is the easiest way I know.

HTH

Jason

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

yeh was hoping for an easier route!!

"Barnej75" wrote:

=Sheet1!E12+Sheet2!E12+Sheet3!E12

This is the easiest way I know.

HTH

Jason

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A reference that refers to the same cell or range (range: Two or more
cells on a sheet. The cells in a range can be adjacent or
nonadjacent.) on multiple sheets is called a 3-D reference (3-D
reference: A reference to a range that spans two or more worksheets in
a workbook.).

Click the cell where you want to enter the function.
Type = (equal sign), enter the name of the function, and then type an
opening parenthesis.
Functions that can be used in a 3-D reference

SUM - adds numbers

AVERAGE - calculates average (arithmetic mean) of numbers

AVERAGEA - calculates average (arithmetic mean) of numbers; includes
text and logicals

COUNT - counts cells that contain numbers

COUNTA - counts cells that are not empty

MAX - finds largest value in a set of values

MAXA - finds largest value in a set of values; includes text and
logicals

MIN - finds smallest value in a set of values

MINA - finds smallest value in a set of values; includes text and
logicals

PRODUCT - multiplies numbers

STDEV - calculates standard deviation based on a sample

STDEVA - calculates standard deviation based on a sample; includes
text and logicals

STDEVP - calculates standard deviation of an entire population

STDEVPA - calculates standard deviation of an entire population;
includes text and logicals

VAR - estimates variance based on a sample

VARA - estimates variance based on a sample; includes text and
logicals

VARP - calculates variance for an entire population

VARPA - calculates variance for an entire population; includes text
and logicals

Click the tab for the first worksheet to be referenced.
Hold down SHIFT and click the tab for the last worksheet to be
referenced.
Select the cell or range of cells to be referenced.
Complete the formula, and press ENTER.

Sraight from Excel Help

Ken Johnson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There is.

Insert a new blank sheet at beginning. Name it "First"

Insert a new blank sheet left of your summary sheet. Name it "Last"

In summary sheet enter =SUM(First:Last!E12)

When you need more sheets make sure you insert them between First and Last.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP