Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel slow to open

My excel failed to close, and then after my computer was restarted, it said
it had recovered two excel files i had been working on, ever since, excel is
extremely slow to open, and operate, how can I figure out what is wrong and
fix it? (Of course my excel files are crucial to my work, eek! such is life)
Any ideas
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Ashley

Try saving the files as a standard name i.e. so it does not show
Filename(Version).xls [Recovered] in the title bar.
Then close the files, close Excel and re-open.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Ashley Mae" <Ashley Mae @discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
My excel failed to close, and then after my computer was restarted, it
said
it had recovered two excel files i had been working on, ever since,
excel is
extremely slow to open, and operate, how can I figure out what is
wrong and
fix it? (Of course my excel files are crucial to my work, eek! such is
life)
Any ideas

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ok I tried that, and as long as excel is running, and i open the files it's
at normal speed, but to open excel/shut it, i think it's still to slow? Any
ideas?

I appreciate the help!

Ashley

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi Ashley

Try saving the files as a standard name i.e. so it does not show
Filename(Version).xls [Recovered] in the title bar.
Then close the files, close Excel and re-open.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Ashley Mae" <Ashley Mae @discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
My excel failed to close, and then after my computer was restarted, it
said
it had recovered two excel files i had been working on, ever since,
excel is
extremely slow to open, and operate, how can I figure out what is
wrong and
fix it? (Of course my excel files are crucial to my work, eek! such is
life)
Any ideas

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ok, JOB #1: and this is without regards to any problem you may be having at
this time - you said the files are crucial to your work. BACK UP those files
routinely - preferably to another drive. Last thing you want are crucial
files of any kind only in one location and then have that one location become
unavailable such as through a hard drive crash or power glitch that hoses
even 'just' a single file. To err(or) at a critical moment is typical, to
have a recent backup is simply divine!

Scary, but true testimonials: I've seen this happen myself (to me): worked
on bunch of stuff all morning, took a short (less than 5 minute) break -
drive was dead! Only having a backup from previous day saved me from an
absolute disaster. More recently a CPA had critical files relating to
several jobs on his laptop. Even though the system had given him warnings
that things weren't right he continued to use it without backups of those
files. It failed. I spent 13 hours of my time and about $100 of his money,
recovering those files for him as a favor - later he gave me (and I accepted)
another $200 in appreciation. So besides a near heart attack, his lack of
backup cost him $300 in cold hard cash.

As for your immediate problem: you might try a repair install of Office. If
you have 2007, try using the diagnostic tools available to see if it notices
any problems with itself.

Try running chkdsk to see if the system can detect errors on your drive:
Start | Run
type in chkdsk and press [Enter] and it will open a command window and begin
running the test against the C: drive.
More information on the options available with chkdsk:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true