Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Vista fax and Excel 2007 prints each cell as a seperate page

Hi there,
I have Excel 2007 worksheets set up to "Fit to Page" for printing. When I
try to print via the fax software that is installed with Vista Business
Edition, it starts to spool up thousands of pages. I think it is trying to
print each cell as a single page. I have tried manually highlighting the
area that is to be printed and selecting "Print Selection" in the printing
dialog box, but that doesn't work either.

When I print directly to my printer, for a paper output, it works fine.

I would like to start using Vista more, but have to keep rebooting into XP
everytme I need to fax something.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Joe
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Need to try to pin this down to a Vista or Excel 2007 problem. When you say
you have to reboot into XP, I presume you're rebooting into Windows XP and
not Vista. But when you are in Windows XP, which version of Excel are you
using?

This is really important to know.

As for ideas to cure it, be it a Vista or an Excel 2007 issue, I sure don't
have any right now.

"Joe Negrau" wrote:

Hi there,
I have Excel 2007 worksheets set up to "Fit to Page" for printing. When I
try to print via the fax software that is installed with Vista Business
Edition, it starts to spool up thousands of pages. I think it is trying to
print each cell as a single page. I have tried manually highlighting the
area that is to be printed and selecting "Print Selection" in the printing
dialog box, but that doesn't work either.

When I print directly to my printer, for a paper output, it works fine.

I would like to start using Vista more, but have to keep rebooting into XP
everytme I need to fax something.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Joe

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi JLatham,

Thanks for the response, sorry I wasn't more clear about my set-up.

I have a dual-boot system with WinXP (SP2) and now Vista Business. I have
the same version of Office installed on both. I kept the WinXP installation
in case there were problems with Vista. Vista seems to work fine.

What I am trying to fax is a spreadsheet formated into a 1 page invoice.
That 1 page prints out fine when sent to my printer. When I choose the
Windows Fax as my printer, it breaks the spreadsheet down into individual
cells and wants to print each as a separate page.

What I meant by going back into WinXP is that if I prepare these invoices in
Vista, I have to reboot into XP to actually send them. It's just a hassle.

Thanks,
Joe

"Joe Negrau" wrote:

Hi there,
I have Excel 2007 worksheets set up to "Fit to Page" for printing. When I
try to print via the fax software that is installed with Vista Business
Edition, it starts to spool up thousands of pages. I think it is trying to
print each cell as a single page. I have tried manually highlighting the
area that is to be printed and selecting "Print Selection" in the printing
dialog box, but that doesn't work either.

When I print directly to my printer, for a paper output, it works fine.

I would like to start using Vista more, but have to keep rebooting into XP
everytme I need to fax something.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Joe

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for taking the time to explain. The way you've described it, this
would appear to be a Vista problem (or a problem with the interaction of
Excel 2007 with Vista), rather than a purely Excel 2007 problem since the
FAXing works fine in Excel 2007 under Windows XP, but fails in Excel 2007
under Vista.

I don't have any immediate remedy for you. I'll kind of peek around and see
if there is anything on such a problem being discussed around and if I find
anything I'll try to post back about it. I may also try to duplicate the
problem - I have two systems set up much as you have your dual boot setup:
one with Vista/Office 2007 and another with WinXP/Office 2007 - now if I can
just figure out who to send a fax to <g for testing. I haven't sent a FAX
from the house in simply ages - don't even have a phone line run to either
system at this point in time.

"Joe Negrau" wrote:

Hi there,
I have Excel 2007 worksheets set up to "Fit to Page" for printing. When I
try to print via the fax software that is installed with Vista Business
Edition, it starts to spool up thousands of pages. I think it is trying to
print each cell as a single page. I have tried manually highlighting the
area that is to be printed and selecting "Print Selection" in the printing
dialog box, but that doesn't work either.

When I print directly to my printer, for a paper output, it works fine.

I would like to start using Vista more, but have to keep rebooting into XP
everytme I need to fax something.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Joe

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi There,

I am having the exact same problem, unfortunately I do not have a dual boot
system to overcome the problem.

The only difference is that my fax printer is on the Small Business Server
that my system logs into.

ps Just checked the built in Vista fax printer and it does the same thing as
the Small Business Server Fax printer.

Have tried a number of different print settings and paper sizes without any
luck.

--
Bruce Terry

"Joe Negrau" wrote:

Hi there,
I have Excel 2007 worksheets set up to "Fit to Page" for printing. When I
try to print via the fax software that is installed with Vista Business
Edition, it starts to spool up thousands of pages. I think it is trying to
print each cell as a single page. I have tried manually highlighting the
area that is to be printed and selecting "Print Selection" in the printing
dialog box, but that doesn't work either.

When I print directly to my printer, for a paper output, it works fine.

I would like to start using Vista more, but have to keep rebooting into XP
everytme I need to fax something.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Joe

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I can only offer two things at this point:

#1 - a possible work-around. There is an add-in available that allows you
to save Office 2007 documents as .pdf files. I'm thinking that maybe you
could first save the Excel file/worksheet as a .pdf and then try faxing that
instead of the .xls file? The free download is available he

The second thing would be to see if there is any information on the subject
in the Vista Printing/Faxing discussion group:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&lang=en&cr=US

Good luck

"Joe Negrau" wrote:

Hi there,
I have Excel 2007 worksheets set up to "Fit to Page" for printing. When I
try to print via the fax software that is installed with Vista Business
Edition, it starts to spool up thousands of pages. I think it is trying to
print each cell as a single page. I have tried manually highlighting the
area that is to be printed and selecting "Print Selection" in the printing
dialog box, but that doesn't work either.

When I print directly to my printer, for a paper output, it works fine.

I would like to start using Vista more, but have to keep rebooting into XP
everytme I need to fax something.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Joe

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the response;

I tried option #1 as I already had the download that you mentioned.

The option worked fine if you selected a different printer (not the fax
printer) before creating the PDF file.
I was able to create and fax the pdf file without any problem.

My first attempt was with the Fax printer still selected and the resultant
PDF seemed to display the same problems as faxing direct from Excel.

As for option #2, there is another person reporting the same error but
unfortunately no solutions have been posted.
--
Bruce Terry

I can only offer two things at this point:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for that update - especially the part about the FAX printer still
causing even the .pdf file to exhibit that rather unacceptable behavior, but
that choosing another printer 'fixes' it. At least we have a work-around,
and perhaps something will come out of the discussions over in the Vista
forum in the way of an update at some later date.