Old June 28th 07, 10:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Pivot Table 'Grand Total' question, average instead of sum

Hello,

I have a list of data with three columns, these are 'Period', 'Area' and
'Cost'.

I want to pivot to show the area's listed down vertically, the period
horizontally across and the 'Grand Total' inserted in the pivot table to give
an average of the periods instead of the sum. Is this possible?

Please advise, much appreciated.

Brian Taylor
Manchester, England.

Old June 28th 07, 11:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Brian

No you can't do that. You can do what Michael says, but add the filed
twice, once as sum and once as average, but then you are going to have a
very messy table.

Right click on the PTTable Optionsuntick Grand Total by Rows.
Create a formula to the right of the PT
=AVERAGE(B4:N4) or whatever the range is
--
Regards

Roger Govier

Old April 7th 13, 03:22 PM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co-op Bank View Post
Hello,

I have a list of data with three columns, these are 'Period', 'Area' and
'Cost'.

I want to pivot to show the area's listed down vertically, the period
horizontally across and the 'Grand Total' inserted in the pivot table to give
an average of the periods instead of the sum. Is this possible?

Please advise, much appreciated.

Brian Taylor
Manchester, England.
Hi Brian,

You can do it creating a calculated field in a Pivot Table created with Powerpivot.
You need to write the calculation in DAX.

However, the correct result depends on how you present the data on the Pivot Table.

Best,

Paolo