Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Co-op Bank Co-op Bank is offline

Default Pivot Table 'Grand Total' question, average instead of sum

Thanks thats what I expected, I was just hoping in vain there may be a hidden
dynamic solution

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi Brian

No you can't do that. You can do what Michael says, but add the filed
twice, once as sum and once as average, but then you are going to have a
very messy table.

Right click on the PTTable Optionsuntick Grand Total by Rows.
Create a formula to the right of the PT
=AVERAGE(B4:N4) or whatever the range is
--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Co-op Bank" wrote in message
No, I need the periods to be summed as normal but the end 'Grand
Total'
column inserted by the pivot table to show as an average rather than a
sum.

Regards

"Michael" wrote:

if you right click the data in the pivot table and choose field
settings you
can change the sum to average. Is this what you want?

"Co-op Bank" wrote:

Hello,

I have a list of data with three columns, these are 'Period',
'Area' and
'Cost'.

I want to pivot to show the area's listed down vertically, the
period
horizontally across and the 'Grand Total' inserted in the pivot
table to give
an average of the periods instead of the sum. Is this possible?

Please advise, much appreciated.

Brian Taylor
Manchester, England.