Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Saving in 2007 as a 2003 file

When working in Excel 2007, I am able to save it as a 2003 file once
or twice. Afterwards, I am unable to save the file. I must SaveAs a
differently named file (and then go back, delete the old version,
etc...). It's necessary for me to save in 2003 as that's what most of
our office has.

Has anyone seen something like this or can someone suggest a possible
fix?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Afterwards, I am unable to save the file.

It's really a good idea to be specific when posting a problem. So you press
Ctrl-s and what exactly happens? If you open another Excel 2003 created
file in 2007 and start pressing Ctrl-s how many saves do you get until the
problem occurs? I quit at about 10 as it seems to be working.

--
Jim
"jeffbg123" wrote in message
ups.com...
| When working in Excel 2007, I am able to save it as a 2003 file once
| or twice. Afterwards, I am unable to save the file. I must SaveAs a
| differently named file (and then go back, delete the old version,
| etc...). It's necessary for me to save in 2003 as that's what most of
| our office has.
|
| Has anyone seen something like this or can someone suggest a possible
| fix?
|
| Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Jeff, I haven't run into your specific problem, but I also work in an office
where most others use Office 2003 while I'm on 2007. I've converted my save
option to always save in 2003 format and have not run into the problem you
are having. To make 2003 your default save format your can:
-Click the Office button (top left icon)
-"Excel Options" at the bottom of the window
-"Save" on the left
-change the "Save files in this format:" to Excel 97-2003 Workbook (*.xls).
-OK

From then on you will automatically save to Excel 2003 for all future files
which will be noted by "compatibility mode" at the top of new Excel workbooks.

Good luck.
Kevin

"Jim Rech" wrote:

Afterwards, I am unable to save the file.

It's really a good idea to be specific when posting a problem. So you press
Ctrl-s and what exactly happens? If you open another Excel 2003 created
file in 2007 and start pressing Ctrl-s how many saves do you get until the
problem occurs? I quit at about 10 as it seems to be working.

--
Jim
"jeffbg123" wrote in message
ups.com...
| When working in Excel 2007, I am able to save it as a 2003 file once
| or twice. Afterwards, I am unable to save the file. I must SaveAs a
| differently named file (and then go back, delete the old version,
| etc...). It's necessary for me to save in 2003 as that's what most of
| our office has.
|
| Has anyone seen something like this or can someone suggest a possible
| fix?
|
| Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This problem is still happening. Here are some more details.

I set it up to autosave as Excel 97-2003 and nothing changed. This
issue only occurs when saving to the local network.

When I open a new spreadsheet, I get 4-5 saves before the "Document
Not Saved" error pops up.

I can exit and then reopen excel and the same thing happens

I can still access the network once the error occurs

I am not saving anything intricate and the error even occurs with
blank XLS files

Windows XP Pro Box

In recap: I open Excel 2007, ctrl + s and save as test.xls on a
network drive as a 97-03 xls file. I hit ctrl + s again and again, and
on the 4th or 5th time (changes occasionally) I get a "Document Not
Saved" error and I cannot save the file again. I can save as another
file, but not as the same file.

Any ideas?

Thanks

-Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

New update.....

This seems to only occur when saving to a public drive on a MacOS
server. Could there be some setting on the mac that is preventing this
from happening?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I found the same issue he http://www.experts-exchange.com/Appl..._22393026.html

But I don't want to pay for the answer.

Please help me !

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have a slightly different problem - any ideas appreciated - Excel
starts default with 2003 format (I don't think it did when I first
installed it) - when I change to 2007 format it only works while Excel
is open, the next time I open it is back to 2003 format - other
options that I change remain as I set them. And I am running from my
computer..

Best wishes,

Valgardur

Kevin K wrote:
Jeff, I haven't run into your specific problem, but I also work in an office
where most others use Office 2003 while I'm on 2007. I've converted my save
option to always save in 2003 format and have not run into the problem you
are having. To make 2003 your default save format your can:
-Click the Office button (top left icon)
-"Excel Options" at the bottom of the window
-"Save" on the left
-change the "Save files in this format:" to Excel 97-2003 Workbook (*.xls).
-OK

From then on you will automatically save to Excel 2003 for all future files

"Jim Rech" wrote:

Afterwards, I am unable to save the file.

It's really a good idea to be specific when posting a problem. So you press
Ctrl-s and what exactly happens? If you open another Excel 2003 created
file in 2007 and start pressing Ctrl-s how many saves do you get until the
problem occurs? I quit at about 10 as it seems to be working.

--
Jim
ups.com...