Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel 2007 Toolbar Buttons

Can anyone tell me why some of my icon buttons are greyed out and how i can
get the back. For instance i am unable to insert a comment as this is greyed
out.
I cannot filter data as this is greyed out.

Anyone any suggestions please. This has only happened on one spreadsheet so
far but think it may happen again.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It sounds like the worksheet is protected. Try going to the Home tab and in
the Format group click the Cells button and look and see if (near the bottom
of the list) if under {Protection} there isn't an entry that says Unprotect
Sheet.
If there is, click that and hopefully it will work for you. If there is
just an entry that says Protect Sheet, then this is not the problem.
If Unprotect Sheet is there (odd place to put Protect Sheet - in the Format
Cells area, but there it is) then when you click it, it may ask you for a
password which you will have to provide to get your buttons/functions
available to you again.

"PollyP" wrote:

Can anyone tell me why some of my icon buttons are greyed out and how i can
get the back. For instance i am unable to insert a comment as this is greyed
out.
I cannot filter data as this is greyed out.

Anyone any suggestions please. This has only happened on one spreadsheet so
far but think it may happen again.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

I have done as you suggested but the protect sheet button is greyed out and
will not change.

Any more ideas please ?

"PollyP" wrote:

Can anyone tell me why some of my icon buttons are greyed out and how i can
get the back. For instance i am unable to insert a comment as this is greyed
out.
I cannot filter data as this is greyed out.

Anyone any suggestions please. This has only happened on one spreadsheet so
far but think it may happen again.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"PollyP" wrote:

Can anyone tell me why some of my icon buttons are greyed out and how i can
get the back. For instance i am unable to insert a comment as this is greyed
out.
I cannot filter data as this is greyed out.

Anyone any suggestions please. This has only happened on one spreadsheet so
far but think it may happen again.- Hide quoted text -

is it possible that this is an older excel file format and 2007 has
the features blocked until the file is converted to 2007 format and
saved and reloaded?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The only other thing I can think of at the moment would be to check if the
entire workbook is protected. Go to the [Review] tab and look in the Changes
Group. If the 2nd button from the left in the group says Unprotect Workbook
(instead of Protect Workbook) then try clicking it and then checking to see
if the situation clears up.

Does the workbook have any macros in it that you are aware of? It may be
that some custom code is disabling the buttons.

And now I'm pretty much out of ideas.

par_60056 may have something - although I haven't seen that yet, but we see
some strange things lately.