Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Win32 error on mixed office software

Hi there,
I have a mixture of office products - Excel, Word, Outlook 2003 - Ppt 2007
(reason is that Dell sent wrong package, without ppt, so sent extra CD but
that didn't have Outlook). The only way I can keep PPT and Outlook is to
have this mixture, and I really want to use 2003 as it's the same as my 2
other Pcs.
Everything actually works fine - EXCEPT - if I try to open (2003) excel
files by double-clicking the file, or via a desktop link I get 'not a valid
win32 application' and it won't open. However, if I launch Excel 2003 and
then open the file from within the application - it's fine. I really want to
be able to open the files via a desktop link.
I've tried 'save as' and saved it as a 97-2003 file format, then tried to
open again - no good. And I've tried 'open with' Excel 2003 - no good.
No prob with Word or anything else, just this excel problem.
Running XP, 1 gig RAM, everything else normal and all software is legal.
Any ideas ?

--
carole UK
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The first thing I would try is running Excel with the "/regserver" command.
This will cause Excel to start, re-write all its registry keys back to the
factory defaults, and then quit. From the Windows Start menu, choose Run and
enter

"Excel.exe" /regserver

You may need to provide the full file name for Excel.exe, as shown below. Of
course, your actual path may be different:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\Excel.exe" /regserver

See also my page on startup errors in Excel
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/startuperrors.htm .

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Carole UK" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for this - I can't try it for about a week as my partner has
disappeared for a break and taken the laptop in question with him.
I'll try it as soon as he returns and put a post up letting you know if it
worked.

Thanks again.
--
carole UK