Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel adds a "1" to filenames opened from desktop shortcut

After opening the Excel file from the desktop shortcut and making changes I
want to save, I have to backspace over the "1", then do a Save As and
navigate to where the file is stored then overwrite to file I originally
opened.

Word and other shortcuts are not affected.

What setting should change to stop this from occuring.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If it is a template file then it is by design, try to save it as *.xls and
put a shortcut to the new file instead of the *.xlt

That's my take on it

Peo Sjoblom

"skibeaux" wrote in message
After opening the Excel file from the desktop shortcut and making changes
want to save, I have to backspace over the "1", then do a Save As and
navigate to where the file is stored then overwrite to file I originally
opened.

Word and other shortcuts are not affected.

What setting should change to stop this from occuring.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just to add to Peo's response:

Are you doubleclicking on a .xls or a .xlt file?

If it's a .xlt file (a template), then this is the behavior you want. The
purpose of a template is so you can create a new workbook based on that
template.

If it's a .xls file...

The first thing that I'd try is to reregister excel to set it back to factory
defaults.

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

Then test it out.

If that doesn't work...

Close excel
start windows explorer
tools|folder options|file types tab
scroll down to the xls extension (microsoft excel worksheet)
click the advanced button
click on the Open item in the Actions box
click set as default
(ok your way out)

If the default action was set to New (bolded indicates default), then that could
have been your problem.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you. Changing from "New" to "Open" in the advanced tab for excel file
types did the trick. The files were .xls so template behaviors weren't
needed. I appreciate your insight and help.