Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I get my personal settings back?

Hey all. Long story short, hard drive on my work laptop died, but I had a
backup. so I am transfering stuff back over, and I have my excel11.xlb file
and I put it where it should go, but the settings are not showing up in
excel. Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

try opening the .xlb file by clicking on it. If you have the settings, SAVE
your workbook.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"havocdragon" wrote in message
Hey all. Long story short, hard drive on my work laptop died, but I had a
backup. so I am transfering stuff back over, and I have my excel11.xlb
file
and I put it where it should go, but the settings are not showing up in
excel. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel11.xlb is stored in this folder

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel

Is that where you have it?

If so, what occurs when you double-click to open Excel11.xlb with Excel closed?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 09:53:23 -0700, havocdragon
wrote:

Hey all. Long story short, hard drive on my work laptop died, but I had a
backup. so I am transfering stuff back over, and I have my excel11.xlb file
and I put it where it should go, but the settings are not showing up in
excel. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ive tried clicking on it when excel is closed, and it gives me the excel
shell window (no workbook open just the menus) I try opening something from
there and saving it and when I open any excel file or a new book it reverts
back, its really wierd.

Yes that is also where I have put the excel11.xlb file

wrote:

Hey all. Long story short, hard drive on my work laptop died, but I had a
backup. so I am transfering stuff back over, and I have my excel11.xlb file
and I put it where it should go, but the settings are not showing up in
excel. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When you d-click on Excel11.xlb all you should see is a blank Excel window with
no workbook loaded but your customized menus in view, which seems to be the case
based upon your description below.

You are saying that FileNew brings up a new workbook and you make a few changes
then save and close that workbook but when you re-open that workbook, the menu
customizations disappear?

Or do they fail to show up again after closing Excel then re-opening?

Do a search for *.xlb files using StartSearchFiles and folders.

You may come up with more than one Excel11.xlb file.

Note where they are then make some change to a Toolbar or Menu.

Close Excel and see which file gets updated.

You could also try the re-register Excel trick.

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.
See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

Gord

wrote:

Hey all. Long story short, hard drive on my work laptop died, but I had a
backup. so I am transfering stuff back over, and I have my excel11.xlb file
and I put it where it should go, but the settings are not showing up in
excel. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Open an new worksheet and customize the tool bar by adding any tool. This
will create the excel11.xlb file. Now copy your saved xlb file over the one
that was created and you will have your prior settings.