Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Update Links completely different

I have been upgraded to Excel 2007 at work. I have been having problems
working with versions of workbooks that are linked to other workbooks. On the
previous version of Excel it asked you if you wanted to update links or not.
Everyone here at work knows to answer this question no. By answering no, it
doesn't matter if the linked workbook is on someone's computer it leaves the
cell values alone.

With 2007, when I open a workbook it automatically updates it, until I go
into the Excel options and unclick the first box under Excel
OptionsadvancedWhen calculating this workbook. After I uncheck the box it
doesn't update any more but the linked cells have already been changed to
Ref! errors.

I have also saved as and the checkbox was checked again on the new version.
This is a major pain in the you-know-what.

I can't find any other place to make Excel 2007 not update upon opening a
workbook.

Any suggestions out there on how to make this work?
--
Thanks,
Laura
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think the only thing that has change is where you find the link options
for a particular workbook. Check out Office button, Prepare, Edit Links to
Files.

When you have a workbook, such as you have described, that you never want to
update links or to prompt you to update links when the source workbooks are
closed, you should click the Startup Prompt button on this dialog and pick
the second option, "Don't display the alert and don't update automatic
links" (And save the workbook of course). This isn't new with Excel 2007
(2002 had it first) but not everyone is aware of it. It's like a little
slice of heaven<g.

--
Jim
"Laura" wrote in message
|I have been upgraded to Excel 2007 at work. I have been having problems
| working with versions of workbooks that are linked to other workbooks. On
the
| previous version of Excel it asked you if you wanted to update links or
not.
| Everyone here at work knows to answer this question no. By answering no,
it
| doesn't matter if the linked workbook is on someone's computer it leaves
the
| cell values alone.
|
| With 2007, when I open a workbook it automatically updates it, until I go
| into the Excel options and unclick the first box under Excel
| OptionsadvancedWhen calculating this workbook. After I uncheck the box
it
| doesn't update any more but the linked cells have already been changed to
| Ref! errors.
|
| I have also saved as and the checkbox was checked again on the new
version.
| This is a major pain in the you-know-what.
|
| I can't find any other place to make Excel 2007 not update upon opening a
| workbook.
|
| Any suggestions out there on how to make this work?
| --
| Thanks,
| Laura

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

We do have the "let user choose" selected on the workbooks. The 2007 version
doesn't ask if I want to update the links when I open the workbook. There is
no window popping up and asking me, even though in the Office buttonExcel
OptionsAdvancedGeneral I have it checked to "ask to update automatic
links."

It just defaults in that checkbox that updates the workbook. When I turn off
the checkbox that says "update links to other documents" it doesn't
automatically update the links, but after I save the workbook and re-open it,
the box is re-checked again. It will not save the workbook with the box
unchecked and leave it that way.

Could this have anything to do with being in "compatibility
mode"??????????????

--
Thanks,
Laura

"Laura" wrote in message
|I have been upgraded to Excel 2007 at work. I have been having problems
| working with versions of workbooks that are linked to other workbooks. On
the
| previous version of Excel it asked you if you wanted to update links or
not.
| Everyone here at work knows to answer this question no. By answering no,
it
| doesn't matter if the linked workbook is on someone's computer it leaves
the
| cell values alone.
|
| With 2007, when I open a workbook it automatically updates it, until I go
| into the Excel options and unclick the first box under Excel
| OptionsadvancedWhen calculating this workbook. After I uncheck the box
it
| doesn't update any more but the linked cells have already been changed to
| Ref! errors.
|
| I have also saved as and the checkbox was checked again on the new
version.
| This is a major pain in the you-know-what.
|
| I can't find any other place to make Excel 2007 not update upon opening a
| workbook.
|
| Any suggestions out there on how to make this work?
| --
| Thanks,
| Laura

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There is no window popping up and asking me, even though in the Office
buttonExcel OptionsAdvancedGeneral I have it checked to "ask to update
automatic links."

Right. Instead there is a "Security Warning" panel appearing above the
Formula Bar that provides the same functionality (If you have the "Ask to
Update Automatic Links" General option selected).

--
Jim
"Laura" wrote in message
| We do have the "let user choose" selected on the workbooks. The 2007
version
| doesn't ask if I want to update the links when I open the workbook. There
is
| no window popping up and asking me, even though in the Office
buttonExcel
| OptionsAdvancedGeneral I have it checked to "ask to update automatic
| links."
|
| It just defaults in that checkbox that updates the workbook. When I turn
off
| the checkbox that says "update links to other documents" it doesn't
| automatically update the links, but after I save the workbook and re-open
it,
| the box is re-checked again. It will not save the workbook with the box
| unchecked and leave it that way.
|
| Could this have anything to do with being in "compatibility
| mode"??????????????
|
| --
| Thanks,
| Laura
|

| "Jim Rech" wrote:
|
| I think the only thing that has change is where you find the link
options
| for a particular workbook. Check out Office button, Prepare, Edit Links
| Files.
|
| When you have a workbook, such as you have described, that you never
want to
| update links or to prompt you to update links when the source workbooks
are
| closed, you should click the Startup Prompt button on this dialog and
pick
| the second option, "Don't display the alert and don't update automatic
| links" (And save the workbook of course). This isn't new with Excel
2007
| (2002 had it first) but not everyone is aware of it. It's like a little
| slice of heaven<g.
|
| --
| Jim
| "Laura" wrote in message
| |I have been upgraded to Excel 2007 at work. I have been having problems
| | working with versions of workbooks that are linked to other workbooks.
On
| the
| | previous version of Excel it asked you if you wanted to update links
or
| not.
| | Everyone here at work knows to answer this question no. By answering
no,
| it
| | doesn't matter if the linked workbook is on someone's computer it
leaves
| the
| | cell values alone.
| |
| | With 2007, when I open a workbook it automatically updates it, until I
go
| | into the Excel options and unclick the first box under Excel
| | OptionsadvancedWhen calculating this workbook. After I uncheck the
box
| it
| | doesn't update any more but the linked cells have already been changed
| | Ref! errors.
| |
| | I have also saved as and the checkbox was checked again on the new
| version.
| | This is a major pain in the you-know-what.
| |
| | I can't find any other place to make Excel 2007 not update upon
opening a
| | workbook.
| |