Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Capturing excel screenshots

I want to prepare a simple Excel tutorial for my fellows in the
office, but I want to include some screenshots with the various
techniques, so that they are more understandable.

Is there any free software that I can use for this purpose?

My idea is to use Microsoft Word with the inserted pictures.

Thank you for your colaboration.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Press the Print Screen button then paste into Paint to crop as necessary. If
you only need a few images, copy from Paint and paste directly into Word. If
you need many images, save as jpg first, and then insert into Word (keeps the
total file size down).

Regards,

"vsoler" wrote:

I want to prepare a simple Excel tutorial for my fellows in the
office, but I want to include some screenshots with the various
techniques, so that they are more understandable.

Is there any free software that I can use for this purpose?

My idea is to use Microsoft Word with the inserted pictures.

Thank you for your colaboration.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Don't know the why's or how's, but I get a smaller file size by pasting
the Print Screen directly into Word and cropping there.

Regards
Martin

"vsoler" wrote:

I want to prepare a simple Excel tutorial for my fellows in the
office, but I want to include some screenshots with the various
techniques, so that they are more understandable.

Is there any free software that I can use for this purpose?

My idea is to use Microsoft Word with the inserted pictures.

Thank you for your colaboration.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just to add...

alt-printscreen will copy the active window (nice for excel's dialogs???).

If you decide to use a commercial program, Snagit from http://www.Techsmith.com

I've never used this, but you may want to read this:
http://lifehacker.com/software/top/d...ows-233382.php
or
http://weblogs.asp.net/kennykerr/arc...pings-1-5.aspx
or directly:
http://www.windowclippings.com/

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I use office 2000 myself, maybe it's time to do a bit of exploring, old
habits
and all that sort of stuff. <bg

Regards
Martin

"vsoler" wrote:

I want to prepare a simple Excel tutorial for my fellows in the
office, but I want to include some screenshots with the various
techniques, so that they are more understandable.

Is there any free software that I can use for this purpose?

My idea is to use Microsoft Word with the inserted pictures.

Thank you for your colaboration.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I second Dave Peterson's recommendation of SnagIt from TechSmith.com - an
excellent program, well maintained and updated. Much more versatile than the
simple print screen built into Windows: you can grab areas the way you want
them without having to go through a secondary application. Also allows
adding point outs and comments easily.

Another application, free, that is almost as versatile is PrintKey 2000.
That's the last free version of it. Works well at least up through Windows
XP, I haven't tried it on Vista.
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...scription.html

And finally there is the great graphic workhorse, IrfanView from
www.irfanview.com - also free and continuously updated and well maintained.

All of these allow saving the captures in a variety of formats including the
massive .bmp, and the more frugal .jpg, .gif, .tif, etc. formats.

"vsoler" wrote:

I want to prepare a simple Excel tutorial for my fellows in the
office, but I want to include some screenshots with the various
techniques, so that they are more understandable.

Is there any free software that I can use for this purpose?

My idea is to use Microsoft Word with the inserted pictures.

Thank you for your colaboration.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I use the capture from FastStone.

Their image viewer is good also.