Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Incrementing Large Ranges

I know that you can increment values in a column by entering a few values,
selecting them and then dragging the lower-right edge down the column. But
what if you want to do this for thousands of rows?

Is there some shortcut or function that you can use to get say rows 1 to
5,000 incremented by 1?

Thanks,

Steve
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Type a 1 in A1

In namebox type A1:A5000 then hit ENTER key.

EditFillSeriesLinearStep Value = 1

OK and you're done.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 11:48:02 -0700, Steve in S.F.
wrote:

I know that you can increment values in a column by entering a few values,
selecting them and then dragging the lower-right edge down the column. But
what if you want to do this for thousands of rows?

Is there some shortcut or function that you can use to get say rows 1 to
5,000 incremented by 1?

Thanks,

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Not in my version of Excel 2003.

The 1 in A1 is sufficient to trigger the series using the steps I posted.

Gord

wrote:

I know that you can increment values in a column by entering a few values,
selecting them and then dragging the lower-right edge down the column. But
what if you want to do this for thousands of rows?

Is there some shortcut or function that you can use to get say rows 1 to
5,000 incremented by 1?

Thanks,

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're absolutely right -- somehow I missed the first line of your original
reply and started with the namebox line, which is why it wasn't working.
Maybe new glasses would help!

wrote:

I know that you can increment values in a column by entering a few values,
selecting them and then dragging the lower-right edge down the column. But
what if you want to do this for thousands of rows?

Is there some shortcut or function that you can use to get say rows 1 to
5,000 incremented by 1?

Thanks,

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Steve

See Mama's post also for a shorter method bypassing the namebox.

Gord