Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I change the column width in only one cell at a time?

I don't want the column width in the cells above or below to move. I only
want to move the width of one cell at a time. Someone said to right click
the cell and choose autofit, but I don't have autofit as a choice. I am
using Excel 2003. Cathi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just adjust the column width by moving the mouse to the edge of the column on
the column bar (the bar with the column letters). The mouse will change from
a pointer to a line with arrows and will allow you adjust the width of the
column

"Cathi" wrote:

I don't want the column width in the cells above or below to move. I only
want to move the width of one cell at a time. Someone said to right click
the cell and choose autofit, but I don't have autofit as a choice. I am
using Excel 2003. Cathi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

if you want to have cells of different sizes, you have to merge multiple
cells. This can allow you to have a cell that is larger than the cell below.
I recommend against using the merge cells features, as it disrupts some of
the cutting and pasting functionlity, so will become more trouble than
benefit. Another way to make the spreadsheet look good is to use the cell
boarders and underlines to adjust the format without actually changing the
layout of the cells

"Cathi" wrote:

I don't want the column width in the cells above or below to move. I only
want to move the width of one cell at a time. Someone said to right click
the cell and choose autofit, but I don't have autofit as a choice. I am
using Excel 2003. Cathi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Cathi" wrote:

I don't want the column width in the cells above or below to move. I only
want to move the width of one cell at a time. Someone said to right click
the cell and choose autofit, but I don't have autofit as a choice. I am
using Excel 2003. Cathi

Another option is to use the "Center across selection" - Select two
cells and format cells and select alignment as "Center across
selection". This will make the cell look as though it has been
merged. it will retain its individual cell properties however.