Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Bar graph -bars not evenly spaced

Hi,

I have a simple bar graph which has 4 series but about 99 data points (i.e.
there are 99 bars shown.) My problem is that the bars are not evenly spaced
within the chart, so I don't get a nice graph. One series, consistently, is
about 2 pixels right of it's 'area'. I cannot find an option to centre the
bar above its description.
Changing the bar's borders does not work, changing the size of the graph
does not work. Changing the Overlap or Gap Width options does not work either!

Any ideas?

This problem has been found on both Excel 2002(XP) and Excel 2007.

Do I have too many bars for excel to cope with?

TIA

Sarah

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

bar or column
I have 2003 XP
I do not see a problem with mine

which column (I think) is wrong

"Sarah Marriott" wrote:

Hi,

I have a simple bar graph which has 4 series but about 99 data points (i.e.
there are 99 bars shown.) My problem is that the bars are not evenly spaced
within the chart, so I don't get a nice graph. One series, consistently, is
about 2 pixels right of it's 'area'. I cannot find an option to centre the
bar above its description.
Changing the bar's borders does not work, changing the size of the graph
does not work. Changing the Overlap or Gap Width options does not work either!

Any ideas?

This problem has been found on both Excel 2002(XP) and Excel 2007.

Do I have too many bars for excel to cope with?

TIA

Sarah

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It's a clustered type chart, right? Bar or column? 99 bars/columns is kind
of a lot. Are some bars/columns 2 pixels wide and others 3? Do some series
not have data for all categories?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Sarah Marriott" wrote in message

I have a simple bar graph which has 4 series but about 99 data points
(i.e.
there are 99 bars shown.) My problem is that the bars are not evenly
spaced
within the chart, so I don't get a nice graph. One series, consistently,
is
about 2 pixels right of it's 'area'. I cannot find an option to centre the
bar above its description.
Changing the bar's borders does not work, changing the size of the graph
does not work. Changing the Overlap or Gap Width options does not work
either!

Any ideas?

This problem has been found on both Excel 2002(XP) and Excel 2007.

Do I have too many bars for excel to cope with?

TIA

Sarah

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the reply.

To clarify its a column chart, and your comment about series has just made
it click.

I didn't realise I had selected a clustered column chart. Doh! I have now
chosen Stacked Column (even though there is only one value) and its great.

Cheers for making it clearer!

Sarah