Leo Bueno

Default Variable dates on X axis evenly spaced (should not be)

When I try to do a line plot of the data shown below, all dates are
evenly spaced. Note that the intervals between dates vary, but Excel
(200) treats the dates as labels to evenly spaced points.

How do I go about making the data points reflect the reality that the
date intervals are not uniform.

Thanks.

DATE Var1 Var2
11-12-1999 3.17 1.08
11-24-1999 3.29 2.06
3-20-2000 2.80 2.36
5-7-2002 2.95 1.92
10-15-2002 3.04 1.37
2-18-2003 3.03 1.38
1-7-2004 2.50 0.59
7-15-2005 2.69 0.94

Jon Peltier

Leo -

First, make sure Excel recognizes the dates as numerical dates, and not as text
labels. Select the column, press Ctrl+1 (numeral one), the shortcut for "Format the
Selection", and on the Alignment tab, select the General Horizontal alignment. This
right aligns numerical values (i.e., dates) and left aligns text. If your dates are
left aligned, they are dates, and you can proceed. If they are left aligned, they
need to be converted. Copy a blank cell, select the range of dates, and from the
Edit menu, select Paste Special. In the dialog, use the Values, Operation - Add
options. This converts the text to numbers like 36476, 36488, 36605, etc., so you
have to apply date formatting (Ctrl+1 again, Number tab, select a suitable Date format).

Now select the chart, and on the Chart menu, select Chart Options, and on the Axes
tab, under Category (X) Axis, select Time Scale.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services