Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default "Excel cannot find the data you're looking for"

Using Find/Replace in excel, message comes up "Excel cannot find the data
you're looking for" even though I know many instances are there. I've
cleared the Find format, still get the error message. I'm searching for 0.00
if that makes any difference. I tried searching other strings of digits that
are in the worksheet and it works fine but not for 0.00. Thanks.
--
LeeAnn Horowitz
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

is the 0.00 in the sheet formatted that way?
if you use an empty cell and enter = (One of the cells which shows 0.00)
and make sure the cell format is general what do you get.

"LA Horowitz" wrote:

Using Find/Replace in excel, message comes up "Excel cannot find the data
you're looking for" even though I know many instances are there. I've
cleared the Find format, still get the error message. I'm searching for 0.00
if that makes any difference. I tried searching other strings of digits that
are in the worksheet and it works fine but not for 0.00. Thanks.
--
LeeAnn Horowitz

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The 0.00 was entered as a 0 in a Number format w/2 decimal places. Using an
empty cell with a General format and using = and a cell which shows 0.00 I
get 0.00 again, but still the same message when I try to find it.
--
LA Horowitz

"LA Horowitz" wrote:

Using Find/Replace in excel, message comes up "Excel cannot find the data
you're looking for" even though I know many instances are there. I've
cleared the Find format, still get the error message. I'm searching for 0.00
if that makes any difference. I tried searching other strings of digits that
are in the worksheet and it works fine but not for 0.00. Thanks.
--
LeeAnn Horowitz

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If the number is actually zero, you won't find 0.00.
If the number is 0.002, then you'll find 0.00 within it, but if you've got
zero *displayed* as 0.00, then you won't find it if you look for 0.00
--
David Biddulph

"LA Horowitz" wrote in message
Using Find/Replace in excel, message comes up "Excel cannot find the data
you're looking for" even though I know many instances are there. I've
cleared the Find format, still get the error message. I'm searching for
0.00
if that makes any difference. I tried searching other strings of digits
that
are in the worksheet and it works fine but not for 0.00. Thanks.
--
LeeAnn Horowitz

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel searches for the actual contents of a cell. If you enter 0 in a cell
Excel will find it searching for 0. Changing the cell's number format to
show 1, 2 or 10 decimal places does not change what is in the cell.

--
Jim