Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default how do you hide certain cells

I am trying to hide specific cells on a protected ecell sheet so that only
the administrator may see what is inside them, if I hide the cells people can
still click and see what is in the formula bar.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could select those cells and go to Format | Cells | Protection and make
sure that they are Locked. Then back on the sheet itself, protect the sheet
with a password and during the process, untick the option to Select Locked
cells. You'll have to provide the administrator with the password so that
he/she/you? can view the contents of the cells.

Remember that password protection of workbooks/worksheets is very weak and
easily determined - don't write anything embarrassing in those cells <g.

"chris" wrote:

I am trying to hide specific cells on a protected ecell sheet so that only
the administrator may see what is inside them, if I hide the cells people can
still click and see what is in the formula bar.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

How are you "hiding" the cells at present?

Locking a cell does not hide its contents from view unless you give it a font
color same as background or provide a null string through a formula.

When you select the cells to lock, also mark them as "hidden" and you won't see
anything in the formula bar if someone does click on them or make them
unclickable as Jerry suggests.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP