Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel is opening a new workbook when I try to open an exsisting fi

Hi
Office 2003 Pro (with latest updates). WinXP Pro SP2

When I try to double click on any Excel file to open it up, Excel will open
up and I can see the file name but it is a new workbook that is blank no
data. If I open Excel and browse to the file and open it that way it will
open up with all data there. I tried to uninstall Office 2003 Pro. And
then reinstall. Still the same problem. Can any one help me find the
solution.. I suspect that it is a reg. entry that is the porblem, but I don't
know where to start.
PS. There are no problems with any other app. in Office
Thanks. John
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When you write that you see the filename, do you mean the name of the file you
double clicked on?

If yes, then try:
window|Arrange|Tiled
and resize it anyway you like.

If no (you're seeing something like book1 in the title bar), then ....

Sometimes one of these works when you're having trouble with double clicking on
the file in windows explorer:

Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

--- or ---

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

factory defaults.

Maybe one of these will work for you.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave you are the man.
The uncheck of Ignore other applications did the trick.
Thank you. You made my day.
John