Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Degradation of performance when upgrading from Ecel 2000 to Excel

Hi all,

I know everyone is looking for latest version, but I work as a developer and
my customer use Excel 2000. He asked me to evaluate the cost of an upgrade to
Excel 2003, so here I am.

My program must fill 5000*255 cells.
I use the VBA method "Resize" to select all the range, then "Value" and set
them with an array containing all the datas.
AFAIK, this is the most effective way to do this.

The problem I have is about the performances :
this code works both on Excel 2000 and on Excel 2003 but on the same
computer respectively need 3 sec and 9 sec.
This difference is not acceptable by my customer.

Could anyone tell me if this lack of perf is a known issue when upgrading
and if there is a workaround ?
I see on the net that this is a computer problem, but I'm afraid that they
wouldn't change their hardware for more competitive ones.....

Thanks for giving me any pointers and have a nice day !

Manu, hope I made myself clear enough, I'm not a good english speaker !

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are you sure the performance happens actually when you put the data into the
cells, is there other code involved in constructiong th data?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Degradation of performance when upgrading from Ecel 2000 to Ex

Hi Ben McBen,

I have measured a lot of instruction with Win32GetTickCounter, and i'm
talking for this line of code only.
Rest of the code isn't important in this, just the cell range.

Thanks for your interest

Manu.