FrankB

Default Temp files causing performance degradation

We're having problems with our users getting too many temp files
building up in thier temp directories. We're on Win98 and WinXP, the
problem is worse on 98, but still happening on XP. Our support people
are helping our users clean up their temp files to regainthe
performance, but I'd like to know if there's anything any one knows
that will stop this proliferation of temp files by Excel.

The files that seems to be primary culprits (these are variations on a
single master file) have from 20 to 40 sheets with about 8 buttons on
every other sheet. There is one UDF being used. The files all point
to a common VBA file for the code execution. Any ideas on what would
be the cause of all of the temp files or a method to manage their
growth outside of cleaning out the temp directory every two weeks?

--
FrankB
FrankB's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=18952

Dave Peterson

I would guess that excel only builds temp files that it needs--so I'm gonna
guess you're not going to be able to do anything that will change excel's
behavior (and still keep excel useable, that is).

But...

Personally, I'd put a VBS script on a network drive and put shortcuts to that
VBS script on everyone's desktop.

This VBS script would clean the Temp folder (much easier than doing it
manually).

This is the one I use. It was written by Michael Harris:
http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...%40tkmsftngp02

Since there are lots of programs that write to the temp folder (and don't clean
up after themselves), I like the .vbs approach.

I just click on that shortcut after I close everything and am shutting down the
pc--or when I start it up--before I load any application.

========
Ps. I'm betting that those buttons on the worksheet are from the control
toolbox toolbar. Maybe you could replace them with buttons from the Forms
toolbar (you'll probably have to modify some code, too).

(I'd just click the shortcut to the .vbs file, though.)

FrankB wrote:

[...]

Charles Williams

AFAIK you wont get any fewer temp files with Forms controls unless you have
fewer controls.

But since i find it hard to imagine a sensible menu with 160 different
commands I would assume that a lot of the buttons are basically the same but
maybe need to know what sheet is active:
so my advice would be to convert all the code to an XLA with its own menu
and/or toolbar and/or formas and you probably only have 10-30 items on the
menu.

regards
Charles
______________________
Decision Models
FastExcel 2.1 now available
www.DecisionModels.com

FrankB wrote:

[...]

View this thread:

Dave Peterson

FrankB

Charles Williams Wrote:[color=blue]
AFAIK you wont get any fewer temp files with Forms controls unless you
have
fewer controls.

But since i find it hard to imagine a sensible menu with 160 different
commands I would assume that a lot of the buttons are basically the
same but
maybe need to know what sheet is active:
so my advice would be to convert all the code to an XLA with its own
menu
and/or toolbar and/or formas and you probably only have 10-30 items on
the
menu.

regards
Charles
______________________
Decision Models
FastExcel 2.1 now available
www.DecisionModels.com

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message

That's where I started, but I couldn't come up with a way to
differentiate between the three different types of sheets the file
requires with 100% confidence. My compromise was to put only the
controls needed for each type of sheet on the appropriate sheet. Right
now, the problem is that copies of this file have proliferated out to
almost a dozen users with 1-10 copies per user, so trying to pull them
all in and modify them is out of the question (I'd rather have one of
our support people write a cleanup script and run it on a scheduled
basis).

--
FrankB
FrankB's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=18952
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=480679

Dave Peterson

A bad memory on my part.

I thought that the controls from the control toolbox toolbar caused more of
those tmp files to be created. But a simple test disproved that. Although, I
did get one extra subfolder (called Excel8.0) with a few controls from the
control toolbox toolbar (not very significant, huh?).

Thanks for the correction.