Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
FJ FJ is offline

Default Spacing between characters

Hi, I have an Excel spreadsheet with a lot of text in each cell. The text
looks fine on the screen but when it prints, some words have too much spacing
between the letters. For instance, on screen a cell that has a sentence with
the following text:

We have sold five apples.

Would look like this when printed out:

We hav e sold five app les.

I have seen this before and always assumed it was just what happened when
Excel had a lot of text and the page set up was set to scale to less than
100%. Someone here at work said there is a way to format the worksheet or
the text or something so it doesn't do that but they can't remember how.
Does anyone know what setting or option might help with this problem?

Thanks in advance for any information.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I've never noticed this problem.

But I'd try a few different things.
A different printer
A different printer driver (download a new version from the web site)
A different font

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
FJ FJ is offline

Hi, Dave, thanks for your response. I've actually seen this problem quite a
few times before. Sometimes instead of spaces some of the letters seem to be
squashed together. It's hard to explain without looking at the printout.

Anyway, your suggestion was correct. We did some experimenting here with
different printers that we have available and it turns out that it only
happens with one particular kind of printer, at least so far. I guess the
tech support people will look into the printer driver issue.

Thanks again!

FJ wrote:

Hi, I have an Excel spreadsheet with a lot of text in each cell. The text
looks fine on the screen but when it prints, some words have too much spacing
between the letters. For instance, on screen a cell that has a sentence with
the following text:

We have sold five apples.

Would look like this when printed out:

We hav e sold five app les.

I have seen this before and always assumed it was just what happened when
Excel had a lot of text and the page set up was set to scale to less than
100%. Someone here at work said there is a way to format the worksheet or
the text or something so it doesn't do that but they can't remember how.
Does anyone know what setting or option might help with this problem?

Thanks in advance for any information.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for posting back.

If you have time, could you post the printer make and model and if the newer
printer driver worked?

Then google will have it for the next victim.

FJ wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
FJ FJ is offline

Hi, actually we've made a new discovery with this. As it turns out there's
another printer that also sometimes prints the weird character spacing,
although this second printer doesn't do it all the time. It seems to depend
on which computer you use to print the file from. Because of this we think
it is probably a printer driver issue. But anyway, here is the information
about the printers, just in case anyone is interested:

Lexmark T622
Lexmark T634

I'll try to post if we find anything out about the printer drivers. It
would really be great to finally get to the bottom of this problem.