Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default hyperlinked drop-down entries

My situation... I want to create a drop down list wherin the entries are
hyperlinked to their respective worksheets. ex: WS=worksheet

WS "Regional Directory" contains a cell where I want to create a drop-down
list.

"Deep South" specifically. I have created a list of all states that reside
in this region.

WS "Drop Down Lists". on this ws I hyperlinked the individual states to
their named worksheets. ie. "Alabama" hyperlinked to "WS Alabama". Named
this list "DeepSouth"

When I create the drop down on WS Regional Directory, using source
"=DeepSouth" It creates a non hyperlinked list which in text matches the
sourced list. However, the list entries within drop-down menu are not
hyperlinked. Which is what I need them to be.

Suggestions??
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Kent

Try to stay in the thread you started earlier to maintain some continuity.

How are you creating the dropdown list of sheet links?

Through Data Validation?

You must be trying to stay away from VBA.

You could make this project much easier.

See Debra Dalgleish's site for creating a worksheet navigation Toolbar.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlToolbar01.html

I don't think you can create a dropdown list with hyperlinks unless you do
resort to VBA.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 19 May 2007 20:44:01 -0700, Kent K
wrote:

My situation... I want to create a drop down list wherin the entries are
hyperlinked to their respective worksheets. ex: WS=worksheet

WS "Regional Directory" contains a cell where I want to create a drop-down
list.

"Deep South" specifically. I have created a list of all states that reside
in this region.

WS "Drop Down Lists". on this ws I hyperlinked the individual states to
their named worksheets. ie. "Alabama" hyperlinked to "WS Alabama". Named
this list "DeepSouth"

When I create the drop down on WS Regional Directory, using source
"=DeepSouth" It creates a non hyperlinked list which in text matches the
sourced list. However, the list entries within drop-down menu are not
hyperlinked. Which is what I need them to be.

Suggestions??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No problem. I just figured, New topic, new post. I'm not sure I follow what
you mean regarding "avoiding VBA." I only have a rededial understanding of
this program. Never had a use for Excel in the past. Now trying to create a
"complex" arrangement of directories to manage sales and listings for various
states. I have zero experience creating my own formulas let alone
understanding the language of macros. If you have some really good links to
basic processes which are relevant to Excell 2007 that'd be great. What I
keep finding, though, is tutorials which are based on earlier versions of
excel, which in turn makes it more difficult since a lot of the directories
and functions are not where they used to be. Also, anything that I find for
2007 tends to be "what's new." Lol..I need a "what's old... and where is it
on 2007." Thanks again for your help.

-Kent

wrote:

My situation... I want to create a drop down list wherin the entries are
hyperlinked to their respective worksheets. ex: WS=worksheet

WS "Regional Directory" contains a cell where I want to create a drop-down
list.

"Deep South" specifically. I have created a list of all states that reside
in this region.

WS "Drop Down Lists". on this ws I hyperlinked the individual states to
their named worksheets. ie. "Alabama" hyperlinked to "WS Alabama". Named
this list "DeepSouth"

When I create the drop down on WS Regional Directory, using source
"=DeepSouth" It creates a non hyperlinked list which in text matches the
sourced list. However, the list entries within drop-down menu are not
hyperlinked. Which is what I need them to be.

Suggestions??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

To answer your question though... I created the drop-down list through data
validation. Was the most commonly provided instruction for creating what I
wanted... though it didn't have the desired result.

wrote:

My situation... I want to create a drop down list wherin the entries are
hyperlinked to their respective worksheets. ex: WS=worksheet

WS "Regional Directory" contains a cell where I want to create a drop-down
list.

"Deep South" specifically. I have created a list of all states that reside
in this region.

WS "Drop Down Lists". on this ws I hyperlinked the individual states to
their named worksheets. ie. "Alabama" hyperlinked to "WS Alabama". Named
this list "DeepSouth"

When I create the drop down on WS Regional Directory, using source
"=DeepSouth" It creates a non hyperlinked list which in text matches the
sourced list. However, the list entries within drop-down menu are not
hyperlinked. Which is what I need them to be.

Suggestions??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I posted a couple of sites for you to visit regarding your sheet navigation
problem but they both involve more VBA so thought you might be avoiding.

They may or may not help.

I don't use 2007 yet so can't speak to that but here a couple more URL's that
lead to cross-referencing 20003 and 2007 commands and menus.

From Bernard Liengme...................
You enter the Excel 2003 commands and the site tells how to do the same thing
in Excel 2007

From Jerry Latham....................
Microsoft also has an
Excel workbook you can download that maps 2003-to-2007 commands available and
you can get that through this link:
http://office.microsoft.com/search/r...M101864291033&...

I just downloaded the workbook and looks like it's a great aid.

Gord

wrote:

My situation... I want to create a drop down list wherin the entries are
hyperlinked to their respective worksheets. ex: WS=worksheet

WS "Regional Directory" contains a cell where I want to create a drop-down
list.

"Deep South" specifically. I have created a list of all states that reside
in this region.

WS "Drop Down Lists". on this ws I hyperlinked the individual states to
their named worksheets. ie. "Alabama" hyperlinked to "WS Alabama". Named
this list "DeepSouth"

When I create the drop down on WS Regional Directory, using source
"=DeepSouth" It creates a non hyperlinked list which in text matches the
sourced list. However, the list entries within drop-down menu are not
hyperlinked. Which is what I need them to be.

Suggestions??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks. I'll take a look at them both. As for the previous links. They
provided some good information for future projects, but wasn't exactly what
I've been trying to do. At least not at this point in time. I saved them all
and will reference them frequently. Thanks again. I'll continue this thread
for future posts.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

I posted a couple of sites for you to visit regarding your sheet navigation
problem but they both involve more VBA so thought you might be avoiding.

They may or may not help.

I don't use 2007 yet so can't speak to that but here a couple more URL's that
lead to cross-referencing 20003 and 2007 commands and menus.

From Bernard Liengme...................
You enter the Excel 2003 commands and the site tells how to do the same thing
in Excel 2007

From Jerry Latham....................

wrote:

My situation... I want to create a drop down list wherin the entries are
hyperlinked to their respective worksheets. ex: WS=worksheet

WS "Regional Directory" contains a cell where I want to create a drop-down
list.

"Deep South" specifically. I have created a list of all states that reside
in this region.

WS "Drop Down Lists". on this ws I hyperlinked the individual states to
their named worksheets. ie. "Alabama" hyperlinked to "WS Alabama". Named
this list "DeepSouth"

When I create the drop down on WS Regional Directory, using source
"=DeepSouth" It creates a non hyperlinked list which in text matches the
sourced list. However, the list entries within drop-down menu are not
hyperlinked. Which is what I need them to be.

Suggestions??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

With regard to tiered or dependant dropdowns, see:

Let's say we have created the region dropdown in A1 and the state dropdown
in B1. It may not be "clickable". If it is not clickable, then in C1 enter:

=HYPERLINK(B1)

This will produce a nice clickable link.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200723
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Having problems applying this to my particular situation. But very helpful
just the same. I've gotten myself a couple books now so I'll see if I can't
figure it out. Additional suggestions are still welcome. Thanks again.

-Kent