Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Referencing Cell Next To Today's Date Cell

Please bear with the question: Using Excel 2002 w/SP/3 and Windows XP w/SP2.
I have two columns: 1) A2...A137 are daily dates. 2) B2...B137 are cells
that are filled in (one cell) each day and contain my weight. In Cell J37 I
want to have the data in the cell to the right of the current day displayed
automatically as each day changes. How do I reference the data in Column B
to do this? Thanks,

Docktondad

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If todays date is the last date entered and your dates are in sequential
ascending order:

=LOOKUP(TODAY(),A2:A137,B2:B137)

If there might be dates beyond todays date:

=INDEX(B2:B137,MATCH(TODAY(),A2:A137,0))

Biff

"Docktondad" wrote in message
Please bear with the question: Using Excel 2002 w/SP/3 and Windows XP
w/SP2.
I have two columns: 1) A2...A137 are daily dates. 2) B2...B137 are cells
that are filled in (one cell) each day and contain my weight. In Cell J37
want to have the data in the cell to the right of the current day
displayed
automatically as each day changes. How do I reference the data in Column
to do this? Thanks,

Docktondad

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

you should be able to do that nesting a couple of functions
Offset & Match

assuming Dates are in column A and Weight in Column B this formula will work.

=OFFSET(A2:A35,(MATCH(E2,A2:A35,0)-1),1,1)

Where A2:A35 is the date range
Where E2 is the Date you are interested in retreving weight data for.

you could clean it up a little using named ranges,
=OFFSET(Date_Range,(MATCH(Date,Date_Range,0)-1),1,1)

Where Date_Range is the date range
Where Date is the Date you are interested in retreving weight data for.

next step would be to use variable named ranges but that is a different
conversation.

hope this helps
--
Jeff