Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default highest number if criteria

Good evening,

I have a problem and I thought DMAX would do it, but I don't think it will..
My worksheet has over 60,000 entries. Each entry is assigned a Unit Number
and it tells you how many days old that entry is. My goal is to have a
formula that says the following "Go and find "RF", once you find "RF", bring
back the oldest data (which would be 136) in a different cell"

A B C
1 Unit Number Entry Days Old
2 RF ABBBA 136
3 RF ABBCV 98
4 MH BBCFD 97
5 SP BBNBN 97
6 RF EERER 85
7 MH EDSDS 85

Make sense? Thanks again

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A tiny trick:

First sort your data by column C descending

This will put all the oldest stuff first

then:

=VLOOKUP("RF",A2:C7,3,0) will return the entry for the first "RF" found, but
now the first one will also be the oldest one!!

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200721

"instereo911 via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

Good evening,

I have a problem and I thought DMAX would do it, but I don't think it will..
My worksheet has over 60,000 entries. Each entry is assigned a Unit Number
and it tells you how many days old that entry is. My goal is to have a
formula that says the following "Go and find "RF", once you find "RF", bring
back the oldest data (which would be 136) in a different cell"

A B C
1 Unit Number Entry Days Old
2 RF ABBBA 136
3 RF ABBCV 98
4 MH BBCFD 97
5 SP BBNBN 97
6 RF EERER 85
7 MH EDSDS 85

Make sense? Thanks again

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

See if this array formula works:

=MAX(IF(A1:A60000="RF",C1:C60000,""))

Note: Array formulas must be entered with CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER instead of just
Enter. If done properly, it should be enclosed in { }.

HTH,
Elkar

"instereo911 via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

Good evening,

I have a problem and I thought DMAX would do it, but I don't think it will..
My worksheet has over 60,000 entries. Each entry is assigned a Unit Number
and it tells you how many days old that entry is. My goal is to have a
formula that says the following "Go and find "RF", once you find "RF", bring
back the oldest data (which would be 136) in a different cell"

A B C
1 Unit Number Entry Days Old
2 RF ABBBA 136
3 RF ABBCV 98
4 MH BBCFD 97
5 SP BBNBN 97
6 RF EERER 85
7 MH EDSDS 85

Make sense? Thanks again

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Oh. I will have to try this out. It makes perfect sense.

Thanks you tons

Gary''s Student wrote:
A tiny trick:

First sort your data by column C descending

This will put all the oldest stuff first

then:

=VLOOKUP("RF",A2:C7,3,0) will return the entry for the first "RF" found, but
now the first one will also be the oldest one!!

Good evening,

[quoted text clipped - 14 lines]

Make sense? Thanks again