Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formatting and seperating commas

Ok here what I need to do. In column 1 I have five rows of names first and
last names seperated by a comma.....example Smith, Joe (all in one column).
I need to take the comma out and put Smith in column 1 and Joe in a new
column or column 2 by itself. Therefore I need Smith (in Column A) Joe (in
column B). Thanks for the help. Please give me step by step on how to do this.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

Take a look at Datatext to Columnsdelimitedcomma as separator.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Help" wrote in message
Ok here what I need to do. In column 1 I have five rows of names
first and
last names seperated by a comma.....example Smith, Joe (all in one
column).
I need to take the comma out and put Smith in column 1 and Joe in a
new
column or column 2 by itself. Therefore I need Smith (in Column A)
Joe (in
column B). Thanks for the help. Please give me step by step on how to
do this.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

DataText to ColumnsDelimited by comma.

Make sure column B is not populated prior to the steps above.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 1 May 2007 18:41:00 -0700, Help wrote:

Ok here what I need to do. In column 1 I have five rows of names first and
last names seperated by a comma.....example Smith, Joe (all in one column).
I need to take the comma out and put Smith in column 1 and Joe in a new
column or column 2 by itself. Therefore I need Smith (in Column A) Joe (in
column B). Thanks for the help. Please give me step by step on how to do this.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You didn't say what version of Excel, so for '03 and previous:
Insert a column to the right of the name to accommodate the break out of
your name field. Select the range that contains your names and from the Menu
Bar choose Data and then Text to Columns.... The Convert Text to Columns
Wizard will open. The wizard is easy to follow. If your original was
lastname, firstname, choose Delimited in step one and Comma in step two.
Click Finish.
For '07:
Insert a column to the right of the name to accommodate the break out of
your name field. Select the range that contains your names and click Data on
the Ribbon and Text to Columns in the Data Tools group. This will open the
Wizard and then as above.