ste mac

Default Excel 2000 to Excel 2003.... is it worh it?

Hi..a quick question..

I am seriously considering purchasing Office 2003...

I have all my work in Excel 2000 is it worth upgrading?
will my apps still run in 2003? or should I just stay with Excel 2000?

thanks for any help

ste
Harald Staff

Hi

I have all versions and use 2000/xp/2003 almost at random. A very personal
formulas, sheets that need a second or more to recalculate after each entry.
For VBA and for small sheets there is not much difference between them.
Consider also; if you upgrade now, then will you automatically not do so
when the next version comes ?

All your old files will work fine.
(Famous last words :-)

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"ste mac" skrev i melding
om...
Hi..a quick question..

I am seriously considering purchasing Office 2003...

I have all my work in Excel 2000 is it worth upgrading?
will my apps still run in 2003? or should I just stay with Excel 2000?

thanks for any help

ste

Ken Wright

To me yes. If for nothing else than the difference in the Pivot Table
toolbar which I use every day, though XP works fine for me, and as I use XP
at work I tend to stick with that at home as well. Would struggle to justify
going from XP to 2003 personally, but XP was a big improvement to me.

If you have kids then take a look at the Student/Teacher edition and it
makes it a much cheaper/easier decision :-)

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

"Harald Staff" wrote in message
Hi

I have all versions and use 2000/xp/2003 almost at random. A very personal
formulas, sheets that need a second or more to recalculate after each

entry.
For VBA and for small sheets there is not much difference between them.
Consider also; if you upgrade now, then will you automatically not do so
when the next version comes ?

All your old files will work fine.
(Famous last words :-)

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"ste mac" skrev i melding
om...
Hi..a quick question..

I am seriously considering purchasing Office 2003...

I have all my work in Excel 2000 is it worth upgrading?
will my apps still run in 2003? or should I just stay with Excel 2000?

thanks for any help

ste

ste mac

wow...some good information, I'm glad I asked this question...

So it seems working with big spread sheets carrying a lot of data
and calcs 2003 is more robust, the pivot table is a plus and the
ability to autorecover is a bonus...

I presume testing my spreadsheets on 2003 may be worth doing before
migrating,or is this usually not a problem..? I would hate to have to
go through line after line of code to find a problem especially when
I don't really know what I'm looking for...hhhmmm...

Will it work backwards? 2003 to 2000?

The consensus of opinion on moving up seems to be ...Yes...

Thankyou very very much for all the information...cheers

ste
Harald Staff

Hi again

Backward compatibility for spreadsheets is no problem. I do heavy
spreadsheet work in a multiple-version / multiple language environment at
the time of writing, exchanging files without any problems.

Code, however: VBA code has added arguments for added XP/2003 functionality
and properties. Especially recorded macros will often cause problems in
lower versions since recordings always contain everything available. All
your 2000 code will run fine in later versions, nothing is altered or
removed, just new stuff added.

Best wishes Harald

"ste mac" skrev i melding
om...
wow...some good information, I'm glad I asked this question...

So it seems working with big spread sheets carrying a lot of data
and calcs 2003 is more robust, the pivot table is a plus and the
ability to autorecover is a bonus...

I presume testing my spreadsheets on 2003 may be worth doing before
migrating,or is this usually not a problem..? I would hate to have to
go through line after line of code to find a problem especially when
I don't really know what I'm looking for...hhhmmm...

Will it work backwards? 2003 to 2000?

The consensus of opinion on moving up seems to be ...Yes...

Thankyou very very much for all the information...cheers

ste

ste mac

Hi Harald...thanks for the info, this has helped me a lot..

Ok, lets go do it.. :)

cheers

ste