Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default AutoSum on a filtered sheet

Something I just noticed....

Using Excel 2002

When an autofilter is applied and rows are filtered and you then use
AutoSum, Excel uses the SUBTOTAL function instead of SUM *even* if the
AutoSummed range is outside of the filtered range.

Try this out:

Put some random data in A1:A10

Apply the autofilter and filter the range on something.

Enter some random numbers in J15:J20.

Select J15:J21 then click on AutoSum.

Biff

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm using xl2003.

After I apply the filter arrows and filter the data,
then select J21 and click on the dropdown arrow and choose Sum, it uses
=subtotal().

But if I go through the "more functions" and choose sum, it uses =sum().

In xl2003, if I use data|list on the A1:A10 and filter it, then the autosum
button uses =sum().

--

Dave Peterson