Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Autosum returns 0 value on data sheet

Autosum retorn a '0' Value on a Data Sheet. I have formatted the cells to
numbers and various other which has no impact. Copy & Special Paste did not
have any effect. Please assist.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Corey
The range of values 'seem' to be in the wrong format and this is probably
where the problem is, but trying to convert the non standard number to a
valid number is the challenge

"EricB" wrote in message
Autosum retorn a '0' Value on a Data Sheet. I have formatted the cells to
numbers and various other which has no impact. Copy & Special Paste did
not
have any effect. Please assist.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Eric

Format all to General or Number then copy an empty cell.

Select your data range and Paste Special(in place)AddOKEsc.

Or run the range through the DataText to Columns Wizard making sure at third
step the Column Data Format is set to General(default).

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"EricB" wrote in message
Autosum retorn a '0' Value on a Data Sheet. I have formatted the cells to
numbers and various other which has no impact. Copy & Special Paste did
not
have any effect. Please assist.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Where did you get the numbers from, web page or import?

Try this, assuming the values are in A1:A20,
select A1:A20, do editreplace, click in the find what box and hold down alt
while typing
0160, release the alt key

now sum them

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com
(Remove ^^ from email)

"EricB" wrote in message
Autosum retorn a '0' Value on a Data Sheet. I have formatted the
cells to
numbers and various other which has no impact. Copy & Special Paste
did
not
have any effect. Please assist.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

(I'm still betting that it's those HTML non-breaking spaces...)

If you select a cell in that range and retype its value, what happens to the
=sub() formula?

David McRitchie has a macro that cleans up this kind of stuff:

(look for "Sub Trimall()")

EricB wrote:

Hi Peo

Data Import, still no luck.

Regards

Eric

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Dave

I was hoping for a quick and easy fix here, this is getting too complicated
for me. I am not technically strong enough to read and understand code and
macros.

The error seems to entail invalid spaces and characters returning a €˜0.00
formula result. I have tried running the €˜TRIM & €˜CLEAN Formulas from the
Help menu with no luck.

Regards

Eric

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

(I'm still betting that it's those HTML non-breaking spaces...)

If you select a cell in that range and retype its value, what happens to the
=sub() formula?

David McRitchie has a macro that cleans up this kind of stuff:

(look for "Sub Trimall()")

EricB wrote:

Hi Peo

Data Import, still no luck.

Regards

Eric

"EricB" wrote in message
Autosum retorn a '0' Value on a Data Sheet. I have formatted the
cells to
numbers and various other which has no impact. Copy & Special Paste
did
not
have any effect. Please assist.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Eric

Assuming the data being summed is in column A, then in any spare column
enter
=SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(160),"")," ","")
and copy down as required.

Now, copy this new range of cells and Paste SpecialValues back over the
data in column A.
You can then delete the helper column used.

Does that resolve the problem?

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

(I'm still betting that it's those HTML non-breaking spaces...)

If you select a cell in that range and retype its value, what happens
to the
=sub() formula?

David McRitchie has a macro that cleans up this kind of stuff:

(look for "Sub Trimall()")

If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro
at:

EricB wrote:

Hi Peo

Data Import, still no luck.

Regards

Eric

"EricB" wrote in message
Autosum retorn a '0' Value on a Data Sheet. I have
formatted the
cells to
numbers and various other which has no impact. Copy &
Special Paste
did
not
have any effect. Please assist.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Roger

The Formula seems to have deleted the 'invalid' spaces, but the comma
separators (that might be a problem) is still evident. Formatting does not
have any effect on the numbers (I can try to change the value to a currency
or percentage without any effect), thus I am not sure if any change has taken
place.

Regards

Eric

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

(I'm still betting that it's those HTML non-breaking spaces...)

If you select a cell in that range and retype its value, what happens
to the
=sub() formula?

David McRitchie has a macro that cleans up this kind of stuff:

(look for "Sub Trimall()")

If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro
at:

EricB wrote:

Hi Peo

Data Import, still no luck.

Regards

Eric

"EricB" wrote in message
Autosum retorn a '0' Value on a Data Sheet. I have
formatted the
cells to
numbers and various other which has no impact. Copy &
Special Paste
did
not
have any effect. Please assist.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Eric

What comma separators?

If you are saying that there is a single quote in front of the number
'2.00 then use
=--SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(160),"")," ","")

If you are saying there are resulting numbers like 2.00, then use
=--SUBSITITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(160),"") ," ",""),"'","")

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

(I'm still betting that it's those HTML non-breaking spaces...)

If you select a cell in that range and retype its value, what
happens
to the
=sub() formula?

David McRitchie has a macro that cleans up this kind of stuff:

(look for "Sub Trimall()")

If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's
intro
at:

EricB wrote:

Hi Peo

Data Import, still no luck.

Regards

Eric

"Corey" wrote:

did you check the range it is adding?
"EricB" wrote in
message
Autosum retorn a '0' Value on a Data Sheet. I have
formatted the
cells to
numbers and various other which has no impact. Copy &
Special Paste
did
not
have any effect. Please assist.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Roger

My HERO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One small error in the formula: Reads accordingly
=SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(160),"") ," ",""),",","")

Copy range(B1:to end)Paste SpecialValuesCopy range(A1:to end)Paste
SpecialAddAUTOSUM

Thank you for you commitment in solving this matter for me.

Kind regards

EricB

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

(I'm still betting that it's those HTML non-breaking spaces...)

If you select a cell in that range and retype its value, what
happens
to the
=sub() formula?

David McRitchie has a macro that cleans up this kind of stuff:

(look for "Sub Trimall()")

If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's
intro
at:

EricB wrote:

Hi Peo

Data Import, still no luck.

Regards

Eric

"Corey" wrote:

did you check the range it is adding?
"EricB" wrote in
message
Autosum retorn a '0' Value on a Data Sheet. I have
formatted the
cells to
numbers and various other which has no impact. Copy &
Special Paste
did
not
have any effect. Please assist.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Eric

My apologies for the " ' " instead of " , " but you figured it out
anyway.
Glad you got the issue resolved.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

(I'm still betting that it's those HTML non-breaking spaces...)

If you select a cell in that range and retype its value, what
happens
to the
=sub() formula?

David McRitchie has a macro that cleans up this kind of stuff:

(look for "Sub Trimall()")

If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's
intro
at:

EricB wrote:

Hi Peo