Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default time format not taking new entry

Every time I try to enter an actual hour, min entry for a format, the correct
format that I have selected will not take my entered value. I enter 7 for a
7 am start time, and I get an entry that shows 12:00:00 AM or a larger
decimal value.

Does anyone know why my value will not enter on a formatted time choice or a
customized format for time entry? The entries will be used to calculate time
elapsed...

HELP!

THANKS!

Liz McLean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you look in the Formula bar you will see 07/01/1900 12:00:00 AM
Excel takes the 7 to mean day seven on a numbering system with 1/1/1900 as 0
You need to enter 7:00 or =7/24
That's the way Excel works with dates/times
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Liz McLean" <Liz wrote in message
Every time I try to enter an actual hour, min entry for a format, the
correct
format that I have selected will not take my entered value. I enter 7 for
7 am start time, and I get an entry that shows 12:00:00 AM or a larger
decimal value.

Does anyone know why my value will not enter on a formatted time choice or
customized format for time entry? The entries will be used to calculate
time
elapsed...

HELP!

THANKS!

Liz McLean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,
In excel all dates are stored as numbers where 0 is 1 Jan 1900. Each whole
number is one day. When you type 7 it thinks you mean 7 Jan 1900.

7AM on 01/01/1900 is therefore 7/24 (0.291666).

If you type the following it will know you mean it's a date/time .... 7:00

Or you can use a separate column to type your time and divide the column by
24 to get a value excel understands.

Hope this makes sense.
Good luck

"Liz McLean" wrote:

Every time I try to enter an actual hour, min entry for a format, the correct
format that I have selected will not take my entered value. I enter 7 for a
7 am start time, and I get an entry that shows 12:00:00 AM or a larger
decimal value.

Does anyone know why my value will not enter on a formatted time choice or a
customized format for time entry? The entries will be used to calculate time
elapsed...

HELP!

THANKS!

Liz McLean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Joel. I was trying to save a client steps - he did not want to have
to type a colon in for each entry. I don't mind doing that, but he has a
gzillion entries and it would save him time.

Appreciate your answer.

"Joel" wrote:

enter 7:00 not just 7.