Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
LB[_2_] LB[_2_] is offline

Default time format not taking new entry

Hi,
In excel all dates are stored as numbers where 0 is 1 Jan 1900. Each whole
number is one day. When you type 7 it thinks you mean 7 Jan 1900.

7AM on 01/01/1900 is therefore 7/24 (0.291666).

If you type the following it will know you mean it's a date/time .... 7:00

Or you can use a separate column to type your time and divide the column by
24 to get a value excel understands.

Hope this makes sense.
Good luck

"Liz McLean" wrote:

Every time I try to enter an actual hour, min entry for a format, the correct
format that I have selected will not take my entered value. I enter 7 for a
7 am start time, and I get an entry that shows 12:00:00 AM or a larger
decimal value.

Does anyone know why my value will not enter on a formatted time choice or a
customized format for time entry? The entries will be used to calculate time
elapsed...

HELP!

THANKS!

Liz McLean