Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel Icons

Sorry to post this again, but I did not receive any comments.

Anyone know why the 2007 Excel Icons have an exclamation mark in them? Is
this normal or does it mean something's wrong?

Rob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry Jim, not enough info. By icons I mean the icons in Windows explorer
to the left of the file name. Or the icon that's created when creating a
shortcut. As soon as I save a file to the 2007 version an exclamtion mark
appears as part of the icon at the bottom right. Something like that would
normally indicate to me that there was some type of error, but all that I've
done is save the file to the new .xlsm format. I notice that if I simply
change a file name's extension from .xls to .xlsm that the same small black
(with yellow background) exclamation mark appears. I think it's showing
that something's amiss with my installation, but I'm not sure.
The reason this is concerning me is that as soon as I do save to the new
format that new file behaves VERY slow, particularly in calculations,
opening, etc.

Rob

"Rob" wrote in message
Sorry to post this again, but I did not receive any comments.

Anyone know why the 2007 Excel Icons have an exclamation mark in them?
Is
this normal or does it mean something's wrong?

Rob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're right, Dave, it is just XLSM files, or at least not XLSX files.

Rob - It's just supposed to warn you that this file type has macros, or will
if the file is properly named. I don't think there is anything wrong with
your machine. Excel 2007 is generally quite a bit slower than Excel 2003.
Excel 2007 has the XLSB (B=binary) for situations where file loading speed
is an issue.

--
Jim

"Rob" wrote in message
Sorry to post this again, but I did not receive any comments.

Anyone know why the 2007 Excel Icons have an exclamation mark in them?
Is
this normal or does it mean something's wrong?

Rob

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Rob Rob is offline

Thanks Jim (and Dave), I suspected this may have been the case, but because
of the problems I was having once I converted to the new format it had me
concerned.

Do you think that MS will get this product working better than it is? I see
MANY complaints about the speed issues in the Newsgroup. I'm finding that
it's better to leave the file in the older format to retain the previous
speed of calculation and opening, etc. (You've probably also seen the
problem people have when double clicking the file when Excel isn't already
open!)

I'm tempted to reinstall Office 2003 and test my creations in 2007 as it
seems this new product is all about gloss. Unfortunately I need to run 2007
to synchronise with my employer.

Rob

"Rob" wrote in message
Sorry to post this again, but I did not receive any comments.

Anyone know why the 2007 Excel Icons have an exclamation mark in
them?
Is
this normal or does it mean something's wrong?

Rob

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It's hard to predict what MS will do, but I expect some performance
improvements with SP1 whenever that comes out. I suspect however that much
of the speed drop is linked to things fundamental to the design of Excel
2007 and therefore not likely to be improved much.

I have to (and want to) keep everything I do in Excel 2003 compatible format
so I use that version for development. I test in Excel 2007 just to see
that, when we do get users with that version, things run, albeit more
slowly.

--
Jim
"Rob" <none wrote in message
> [...]
| (with yellow background) exclamation mark appears. I think it's
showing
| that something's amiss with my installation, but I'm not sure.
| The reason this is concerning me is that as soon as I do save to the
new
| format that new file behaves VERY slow, particularly in calculations,
| opening, etc.
|
| Rob
|
| "Jim Rech" wrote in message
| No idea what you're talking about. What 'icon'?
|
| --
| Jim
| "Rob" wrote in message
| Sorry to post this again, but I did not receive any comments.
|
| Anyone know why the 2007 Excel Icons have an exclamation mark in
| them?
| Is
| this normal or does it mean something's wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Rob Rob is offline

Thanks Jim. You've been very helpful!

Rob