Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default 2007: pivot table driving our users nuts.

Assuming you have a Dimension with 5 levels: Year, Quarter, Month, Week and Day
Using OWC 11, you could drag the Day level to the pivot table, and you'd see
all the days one below the other.

Now with Excel 2007, you drag the Day level and Excel decides to behave as
if you had dragged the Year level: It shows all the years below one another.
You must then expand the year level so that the quarters appear, and then
right-click on a year, choose "show/hide fields" and click on Year to hide
the year level.
Do it again for Quarter, then again for Month, and finally for week.

A total of 17 clicks for something that needs 1 click with OWC 11.

This is driving our users nuts.

Am I missing something ? Is there a better way to do this ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default pivot table driving our users nuts.

Alan

You can display the pivot table in the 'old view' on the pivot table tab.
The default now is the new 'compact' view

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

FREE UK OFFICE USER GROUP MEETING, MS READING, 27th APRIL 2007
www.officeusergroup.co.uk

"AlanKohl" wrote in message
Assuming you have a Dimension with 5 levels: Year, Quarter, Month, Week
and Day
Using OWC 11, you could drag the Day level to the pivot table, and you'd
see
all the days one below the other.

Now with Excel 2007, you drag the Day level and Excel decides to behave as
if you had dragged the Year level: It shows all the years below one
another.
You must then expand the year level so that the quarters appear, and then
right-click on a year, choose "show/hide fields" and click on Year to hide
the year level.
Do it again for Quarter, then again for Month, and finally for week.

A total of 17 clicks for something that needs 1 click with OWC 11.

This is driving our users nuts.

Am I missing something ? Is there a better way to do this ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Alan

If I drag a date field to the Row area, then Group by Year,
Quarter.Month,Day each of these grouped fields appears one below the
other in the Row area of the Field List dialogue.Dragging Year, Quarter
and Month to the Report Filter Area, just leaves days showing in the row
area.

Dragging any of them around doesn't display what you describe.
--
Regards

Roger Govier

"AlanKohl" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have a pivot table that is connected to an external source (in this case
SQL Server Analysis Services SP2).
In this external source, the Calendar dimension has Year, Quarter, Month,
Week and Day levels.
When I drag just one of those levels from the Fields list, all of the levels
get dragged to the row area of the pivot table instead of just the level I
picked.

(sorry for the delayed reply, I didn't get notified of your response for
some reason)

"AlanKohl" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Alan

I have no experience with taking data from a SQL Server. Presumably it
is "tying" these levels together.
Can you not just pick up a straight calendar date for each transaction,
then get XL to Group those days by Year, Quarter, Month and Day?

That way, you can drag each around independently, and that was what I
was describing in my post.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"AlanKohl" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Alan

Just a trifle large, even for XL2007<bg
Someone else with experience with SQL databases may be able to jump in
and help you - sorry I can't.

--
Regards

Roger Govier