Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Stripping HTML Tags out of cells

I have an excel column with product descriptions that have random HTML
formatting in them. I need to take out all of the HTML in order to
meet new feed requirements.

How can I basically delete everything between < until it it hits and
then hits the next line & starts over?

Is there an easier way?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Edit/ Replace:
Find what: <*
Replace with: [nothing]
--
David Biddulph

"GD1226, Captain Ahab, manface" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have an excel column with product descriptions that have random HTML
formatting in them. I need to take out all of the HTML in order to
meet new feed requirements.

How can I basically delete everything between < until it it hits and
then hits the next line & starts over?

Is there an easier way?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Apr 8, 10:18 am, "David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk
wrote:
Edit/ Replace:
Find what: <*
Replace with: [nothing]
--
David Biddulph

"GD1226, Captain Ahab, manface" wrote in oglegroups.com...

I have an excel column with product descriptions that have random HTML
formatting in them. I need to take out all of the HTML in order to
meet new feed requirements.

How can I basically delete everything between < until it it hits and
then hits the next line & starts over?

Is there an easier way?

Thanks!

Wow, sometimes it's the simplest thing... I tried that one, but since
I have annoying long descriptions it returns an error "The Formula is
too Long" when I'm trying to Find Replace. I'm trying to do it in
TextPad now & import the descriptions back in. Thanks for your help!

If anyone knows how to fix the "Formula is Too Long" error, let me
know, otherwise thanks for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You eliminate the "Formula Too Long" error by making the formula
shorter!<bg

Seriously though, from your explanation, perhaps enter your "long
descriptions" into a datalist, and then, in the formula, refer to the
particular cell containing the proper text description.

If I've guessed wrong, post a formula or two.

RD

"GD1226, Captain Ahab, manface" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 8, 10:18 am, "David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk
wrote:
Edit/ Replace:
Find what: <*
Replace with: [nothing]
--
David Biddulph

"GD1226, Captain Ahab, manface" wrote in

oglegroups.com...

I have an excel column with product descriptions that have random HTML
formatting in them. I need to take out all of the HTML in order to
meet new feed requirements.

How can I basically delete everything between < until it it hits and
then hits the next line & starts over?

Is there an easier way?

Thanks!

Wow, sometimes it's the simplest thing... I tried that one, but since
I have annoying long descriptions it returns an error "The Formula is
too Long" when I'm trying to Find Replace. I'm trying to do it in
TextPad now & import the descriptions back in. Thanks for your help!

If anyone knows how to fix the "Formula is Too Long" error, let me
know, otherwise thanks for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Apr 8, 11:18 am, "Ragdyer" wrote:
You eliminate the "Formula Too Long" error by making the formula
shorter!<bg

Seriously though, from your explanation, perhaps enter your "long
descriptions" into a datalist, and then, in the formula, refer to the
particular cell containing the proper text description.

If I've guessed wrong, post a formula or two.

RD

"GD1226, Captain Ahab, manface" wrote in oglegroups.com... On Apr 8, 10:18 am, "David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk
wrote:
Edit/ Replace:
Find what: <*
Replace with: [nothing]
--
David Biddulph

"GD1226, Captain Ahab, manface" wrote in

oglegroups.com...

I have an excel column with product descriptions that have random HTML
formatting in them. I need to take out all of the HTML in order to
meet new feed requirements.

How can I basically delete everything between < until it it hits and
then hits the next line & starts over?

Is there an easier way?

Thanks!

Wow, sometimes it's the simplest thing... I tried that one, but since
I have annoying long descriptions it returns an error "The Formula is
too Long" when I'm trying to Find Replace. I'm trying to do it in
TextPad now & import the descriptions back in. Thanks for your help!

If anyone knows how to fix the "Formula is Too Long" error, let me
know, otherwise thanks for your help!

I wasn't descriptive enough before. I don't actually have any
formulas in this column - it's just the descriptions from the original
file feed. For instance, one of the descriptions is:

"Enjoy the therapeutic feeling of swimming with the Dolphins in this
enchanting Imperial Finished Table. <br<br Titled <b"Dolphin
Table" </b <br <br Imperial Finish is a process designed to
enhance the fine craftsmanship of this piece. Each work is
meticulously sculpted by hand, cast in solid brass, and finished in a
unique new patina of color. The piece endures a time-consuming lost-
wax technique to reveal unparalleled detail. Enjoy this beautiful
artwork for a lifetime. <br <br The origins of lost wax casting
process are shrouded in antiquity. It has been used for thousands of
years to create metal objects that could not be produced in any other
way (such as fine jewelry) because of their complexity. Each lost wax
piece begins life as a finely hand-carved wax sculpture. After the
model is touched up, vents and gates to channel the liquid metal into
the mold are added. The model is then surrounded by a material that
will withstand high temperature when baked. Following hours of
baking, when the material has set and cooled, molten metal is
carefully poured into the mold, melting the wax in the process (hence
the "lost wax" designation). This process, once finally cooled,
reveals the painstakingly created details of the original wax
sculpture. <br <br Due to its high cost and complexity, the lost
wax method is a fading art form. This technique is proudly used to
forge a breathtaking piece that will last for many generations. <br
Glass<br<br Ships within 3-7 business days via Best Way
freight.<br /<br /No additional specifications are available at this
time."

Very long and i need all of the <b and <br tags out of this one, but
other descriptions have <font <script and more ... but when i try to
find & replace within the descriptions, I get the formula is too long
error.

I dont know if this helps, i just need to get the HTML out of the
descriptions and i have 3000+ lines to go through...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Apr 8, 11:36 am, "GD1226, Captain Ahab, manface"
wrote:
On Apr 8, 11:18 am, "Ragdyer" wrote:

You eliminate the "Formula Too Long" error by making the formula
shorter!<bg

Seriously though, from your explanation, perhaps enter your "long
descriptions" into a datalist, and then, in the formula, refer to the
particular cell containing the proper text description.

If I've guessed wrong, post a formula or two.

RD

"GD1226, Captain Ahab, manface" wrote in oglegroups.com... On Apr 8, 10:18 am, "David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk
wrote:
Edit/ Replace:
Find what: <*
Replace with: [nothing]
--
[...]

I got it! I exported the descriptions into TextPad and used a reg
expression search inspired by
http://groups.google.com/group/macro...d5165b55a066e6

</?[^]*

to get all of the tags out of the file & then put the descriptions
back to my master file.

thanks for everything.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Kind of you to feed-back and post your solution ... for the archives.

RD

oups.com...
wrote:
On Apr 8, 11:18 am, "Ragdyer" wrote:

You eliminate the "Formula Too Long" error by making the formula
shorter!<bg

Seriously though, from your explanation, perhaps enter your "long
descriptions" into a datalist, and then, in the formula, refer to the
particular cell containing the proper text description.

If I've guessed wrong, post a formula or two.

RD

-
Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may

benefit !

-
"GD1226, Captain Ahab, manface" wrote in

oglegroups.com... On Apr
8, 10:18 am, "David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk
wrote:
Edit/ Replace:
Find what: <*
Replace with: [nothing]