Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Custom Sorting

I have a column that has blanks, characters, numbers, number w/ text attached
and text. When I sort (selecting sort with numbers and numbers stored as text
separately) the order items are returned in is : blanks, characters, numbers
and numbers w/ text mixed together, then text. I want to be able to sort so
my numbers and numbers w/ text appear first. Please advise if possible.

For example:
Sorting: current sort
#
(this is a blank)
123
123A
HOME

Desired Sort:
123
123A (these two can be interchangeable)
#
HOME
(blank) (these bttm 3 can be interchangable)

TFTH

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

select the whole range first and sort ascending
this will give you ,,, numbers,,,,numbers with text,,,text,,,spaces

--
Greetings from New Zealand

"CathyZ" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dak dak is offline

Could you use MID and VLOOKUP functions in the column immediately adjacent
[let's say Column A] to your column to be sorted [Column B]? In your VLOOKUP
Table Array [Columns C & D], column C would be the numbers 0 through 9, all
symbols, all letters, a blank space and 'HOME'. Column D would be the sort
order you desire, from 1 to whatever.

Then have a formula in column A =VLOOKUP(MID(column B address,1,1),name of
your VLOOKUP range,2,FALSE). If it should become important for HOME to be
next-to-last, then you could include an IF statement.

Sort by column A values, then COPY/PASTE your resorted list from column B to
wherever you need it. dak