Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Need help with custom sorting

Any help will be very appreciated!

Is there any way that I can custom sort a list in this way:

I made up the list below.

Item Amount
Number
1234 500
1234 20
1234 350
1234 95
5678 400
5678 200
5678 10
9101 600
9101 50
9101 5
9112 85
9112 155
9113 450
9115 256

first to have the Item number with the largest amount and then the same
item number with their corresponding amount from high to low

then have the second largest amount by item number and then the same
item number with corresponding amount from high to low.

For example:
The item number with largest amount is 9101 with amount 600, 50 and 5.
Second item with the largest amount is 1234 with amount 500, 350, 95
and 20.

And so on...

I want the list will be sorted in this way:

Item Amount
Number
9101 600
9101 50
9101 5
1234 500
1234 350
1234 95
1234 20
9113 450
5678 400
5678 200
5678 10
9115 256
9112 155
9112 85

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Insert a new column next to your data (I'll use column C for this example).
Enter this formula into C1:

=MAX(IF($A$1:$A$14=A1,$B$1:$B$14,0))

Enter this as an array formula (use CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER instead of just Enter).
If done correctly, the formula should be surrounded by { }.

Copy the formula down column C as far as needed.

Then, when you sort, sort by Column C first, then by Column B. You can also
hide this new column so that it is out of the way, and still use it for
sorting.

HTH,
Elkar

"etronis" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave Peterson wrote:
see your first post.

etronis wrote:

[...]

Thanks,

But what I want is to tell excel to sort Item Numbers by the largest
amount, so if there is one Item Number with several Amounts, and only
one of these Amounts is the largest one in the list, then excel will
sort this Item Number first even the rest of Amounts for this Item
number might be smaller than other Amounts belonging to the other Item
Numbers. Then excel will pick Item Number will second largest Amount
and sort its amounts....Refer to the list above, which i sorted
manually. I was wandering whether Excel has capabilities to build a
custom list that will generate this kind of sorting.

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One option would be a Pivot Table.
Drag Item, then Amount, to the Row area.
Drag Amount to Data Area.
(dc=Double Click)
dc amount in Data area, and summarize by Max of Amount.
dc Item in Row area, then Advanced, and sort Descending based on Max of
Amount.
dc Amount in Row area, then Advanced, and sort Descending also.
Remove Subtotals to clean up.
Hope this gets you started.

--
HTH :)
Dana DeLouis

"etronis" wrote in message
oups.com...

Dave Peterson wrote:
see your first post.

etronis wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't believe you can get Excel to recognize your sort pattern without the
use of a "helper" column. If you really need to avoid this additional
column, then you're going to need to look into a VB/Macro solution. Perhaps
someone else, maybe in the Excel/Programming group, can help you with that.

"etronis" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Did you try it?

And I don't think that this is close to a custom list.

etronis wrote:

Dave Peterson wrote:
see your first post.

etronis wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dana DeLouis wrote:
One option would be a Pivot Table.
Drag Item, then Amount, to the Row area.
Drag Amount to Data Area.
(dc=Double Click)
dc amount in Data area, and summarize by Max of Amount.
dc Item in Row area, then Advanced, and sort Descending based on Max of
Amount.
dc Amount in Row area, then Advanced, and sort Descending also.
Remove Subtotals to clean up.
Hope this gets you started.

--
HTH :)
Dana DeLouis
Windows XP & Office 2003

"etronis" wrote in message
oups.com...

Dave Peterson wrote:
see your first post.

etronis wrote:

[...]

Can't do it with pivot table becouse those two columns are part of a
larger database and it will mix up my whole spreadsheet. Doesn't excel
have some kind of custom sorting, similiar to what we do with custom
list from Tools, Options, Custom List tab?