Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default urgent solution needed to 'custom view' re-calculation problem!

Hi all,

I posted this to no avail late June and now I'm in trouble with my project
and would be really keen for some help!

Summary of problem:
I have a spreadsheet with custom views.
When my users selects a custom view, the tab seems to do forced recalculate
INCLUDING externally links even if I said 'don't update' when i opened the
spreadsheet

This problem ruins my approach and I need to either:
a. confirm this is a bug in excel and find a work-around
or
b. confirm this is supposed to happen (I can't imagine why it should though)
and find a work-around

Any ideas gratefully received.

Thanks

Detailed Background
I have some formulas in a tab looking up data from an external
workbook.

As usual, if the external workbook is open, there is no issue; but with
the source data workbook closed, I get the usual #N/A link

Nothing unusual so far

When I open up the workbook and say 'Dont update' to external links, as
expected, I see the last data that was in the spreadsheet when I
saved/closed it.

I can use the spreadsheet with no issues at all.

On the tab, there is a filter. I can change the filter, play around it
with, no issue

However, I have a custom view with filter settings saved in it.

When I select the custom view - BANG.
All the #N/As are back. For some reason, selecting the custom view
seems to be refreshing the data in my externally linked values

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Have you tried changing calculations from auto to manual?

Then a change of "View" will *not* calculate the WB.
You could then hit <F9 to calculate the *entire* WB,
OR ...
<Shift <F9 to calculate *only* the active sheet.
--
HTH,

RD