rtbrd

Default if condition, do something, do nothing

I am tracking a value that will vary by day. I want to record and save the
date on which the max occurred. Example: If maximum, then record date, if
not maximum leave previous date.

Can I create an If statement that does nothing to the cell if the result is
false?
Bob Phillips

=IF(A1=MAX(A1:A100),TODAY(),"")

but this will update tomorrow with the new date, so you will need to do a
copy and pasteValue.

--

HTH

RP

"rtbrd" wrote in message
I am tracking a value that will vary by day. I want to record and save

the
date on which the max occurred. Example: If maximum, then record date, if
not maximum leave previous date.

Can I create an If statement that does nothing to the cell if the result

is
false?

n.almeida

Ok! I will guess a lot of things here.
I assume:
- you have a column A3:A103 where you fill in the value you want to measure
per day.
- you have a column B3:B103 there you have the date
- on the cell A1 you want to have the highest value
-on cell B1 you want to get the date

the formula on A1 should be =max(A3:A103)
the formula on B1 should be =OFFSET(A3,MATCH(A1,A3:A103,0)-1,1)

I hope it helps

"rtbrd" wrote:

I am tracking a value that will vary by day. I want to record and save the
date on which the max occurred. Example: If maximum, then record date, if
not maximum leave previous date.

Can I create an If statement that does nothing to the cell if the result is
false?

rtbrd

Maybe I should clarify the situation.

Cell A1 contains a value that will change with caculations in the sheet,
this may occur multiple times a day.

Cell A2 contains the reference value for checking if the calculated value is
above this reference.

Cell A3 contains the formula: =IF(A1A2,A1,A2), this will record the maxium
value (true) or reference (false).

Cell A4 contains the formula: =IF(A1A2,TODAY(),), this will record the date
of the maximum value but it the formula evaluates as false the previous
maximum date is replaced.

Is there a way to create a formula that will do nothing if it evaluates to
false? I need to find a way to freeze the date that the maximum value
occurred. I would like to automate this. I realize that I can copy and
paste the value in but I would prefer it to be automated.

"rtbrd" wrote:

I am tracking a value that will vary by day. I want to record and save the
date on which the max occurred. Example: If maximum, then record date, if
not maximum leave previous date.

Can I create an If statement that does nothing to the cell if the result is
false?

n.almeida

I am not sure if I got it.
I understand there is a reference value say "100" that occurred on 1st March
and you want to know if the certain results on A1 get over "100" the date is
registered otherwise the get the date of the "100" value.
On B2 put the date of the A2 value. And on the A4 =IF(A1A2,TODAY(),B2)

If you want to save the maximum of several tries that change the result
automatically I don't think it will be possible. A formula will always
change, as far as I know and you cannot freeze it if some conditions are met.
In any case, the value on A2 would have to take the new maximum so that the
sheet could continue to be used, isn't it?

Now, you
....either record the maximum records on a list somewhere, and link A2 and B2
to that list;
....or change manually the 100 to the new max say 120 and the date with the
copy values.
....or I have no idea of what I am talking about and will leave it...
b&a,n__o